I don't want to cull him, help....

I agree, the roo serves a purpose in the flock as illustrated by my coyote story. He doesn't need to be friendly, just respectful. Ours backs off when I am out there. I can tell it stresses him out, but he knows that I will take care of his hens. When a hen is giving a nesting call, he runs to her. If I go out there, he will back off and let me go in with the hens and wait for me to leave before taking his post again. I have instructed the kids and he defers to them as well. I have given everyone in my family strict instructions. 1. Don't ever let him mount a hen in your presence, and 2. If he ever challenges you, kick him just like a football, run at him, throw a rock. Whatever. Never let him get the best of you or think that he has scared you.
He does a great job with the hens, but defers to us when we are out there. I can live with that.
cool.png

I have an update and a question!

Update- Vick isn't responding well to any thing I try. Maybe I need to give it more time. However I now have a 4 inch gash in my leg from where he spurred me. I thought all was well and turned to leave the run. He came out of nowhere!

Question- We have an old chicken coop just across the yard. It is still a nice building and we are currently using it for storage. We had been usning it as a kitty house until we moved them to the barn. Would it be mean of me to just move Vick to that coop? He would be free range, as there is no run. I would of course feed and water him. I even thought I could get him 2 hens or possibly pick 2 from my current flock. I have never let our birds free range because I worry about them to much. What do you think? Is this a better alternative than culling him?

Well, it is a nice way to cull him passively. I don't know where you live, but if we did that here, even in our fairly densely populated rural area, he wouldn't last more than a week. The coyotes would make short work of him.
The only problem with that is that if the coyotes find your flock, they will keep coming back. They can dig under your coop if you haven't done something to prevent that.
He may calm down if he is free range, but may bring you new hassles.
I bet it is cold up there. Wouldn't some nice, hot chicken (rooster) soup be good? Some nice hot rolls to go with it?
big_smile.png

If he is free-range, then he has the ability to attack anyone at anytime in the yard, would you want that? You still have to take care of him.
I could understand not wanting to kill him, but there are sooo many nice roos that don't get the life they deserve, and he sounds like a big meany. Find a neighbor who would like to have him for dinner and be done with it.

My golden comet roo attacks me every time I or anyone ventures out in the yard. He will chase you. In Shorts season we will be bleeding.

My husband want to find him a nice home.

I feel quilty because our chicks are as much pets as egg producers, but he is out of control

Quote:
Here's one way to look at it. If it were a dog instead of a chicken what would you do? You need to get rid of that roo and find a replacement. One mean bird is not worth having if the chance exists to hurt a child.

Back
Top Bottom