I don't want your chickens !!!

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
Sorry for the rant, but I had to share this .....

I have an established flock of a dozen or so hens, and 8 three week old babies, it's all peace and love, with everybody getting along fine.

A neighbor a few miles away has 3 pullet/hens, and a cockerel/rooster that they, for some unknown reason, do not want anymore.

I was contacted 3 times about taking them, and all 3 times, I said NO. I explained that I am concerned about quarantine, health and integration issues, and I would pass on taking them. She was noticeably upset that I didn't want her chickens, and she said, trying to provoke me, that they were just going to stop feeding them, and let them go somewhere.

I said OK .....

Well, she didn't get the response she wanted, and I broke contact with her, so she sent another neighbor up to try to convince me, to no avail.

So, yesterday evening, just about dark, I was walking my dogs up at the end of my 1/4 mile long driveway, which is at the very end of a mile+ long, clearly marked PRIVATE ROAD, and I heard a vehicle coming.

I ducked out of sight into the woods to observe whoever it was, because like I said, PRIVATE ROAD, and I run people off quite frequently. I also open carry a sidearm, cause ya never know ..... Cougar, black bear, 2 legged predators, and all that. Even if the police were called, I have about a 30 minute response time, so nobody is coming to save me, hence the .45.

People seem to think it's OK to park in the circle at the top of my driveway, making out, doing drugs, and leaving trash.

It's not OK.

Anyway, here comes the truck toward my property, and I see it's the neighbor and her husband/boyfriend with a cage in the truck bed !!!

So, I observe as the guy gets out, and opens the tailgate, to reveal 4 chickens in the cage. The dogs, who have been heeling by my side, take action, and run him back to the cab, and as he jumps in, I step out, EXTREMELY agitated, and with a big voice, tell him he is not welcome here, I have several cameras, and I have pictures of him, his truck, and his license number, and the authorities would be contacted. I really do have several cameras set up along the road !

This took the steam right out of him.

He uttered some nonsense about just wanting to see where this road went, and didn't see any of the FIVE, highly visible signs along the PRIVATE ROAD.

Yeah, right ..... Oh, you were just taking the birds for a ride ?????

They didn't admit it, but they were going to release the birds at the top of my driveway ! As they were turning around to leave, I said if I see or hear ANY chickens that aren't mine, I will hunt them down, and shoot them on sight.

I don't know where they dumped those birds, but I hope it's far enough from me that I don't have to take any action. I have enough chickens, and problems of my own !!!

Some people !!!

I have had 2 roosters dumped on me 2 diff times, and my neighbors hate if I have roosters, so they were not doing me any favors, or helping me to get along with my neighbors, and the roosters didn't just get slipped in unnoticed.

Also I have had people call me up and say "My friend, Judy says you take roosters and find them homes." Um- I don't even know a "Judy" and why she would say that. Occasionally I will hatch a rooster I have to rehome, it does not mean I have a rescue.

I have the same issue with people that know me through 4H. Yes, I get that sometimes you decide a breed isn't for you, or you have a rooster and you can't and yet don't want to have to cull them.

But just because I (these are all excuses people tell me when I say no and they want to argue)
A) have like 20 males that stay year round
B) have roughly triple digits headcount wise
C) have multiple coops
D) have a ton of different breeds/ "wouldn't you want to try a new one?"

Doesn't mean I want your birds.
A) Yes I have a bunch of roosters that stay. I also currently have about 40 that need to go wither in the freezer or to a new home.
B) Again, I do have a lot of birds. Do you know how much feed nearly a hundred birds go through? I don't want/ can't afford to feed extras that I don't have plans for.
C) Each coop has a purpose. Trust me, I don't have any empty coops just wasting space.
D) Odds are that if you could get your hands on the breed (meaning people local to me, not any of you east coast people), I either have it, had it and didn't like it, do not have the facilities to keep them comfortable (Like buttercup and red caps. I would LOVE to have them, but they'd lose their comb within a month of winter. That's what they're known for having, so it's not worth having them) or clearly didn't like it enough to even consider buying.

And fyi, if I say no thanks and you try to /argue/ with me to take your birds, it ain't gonna make me change my mind

Wow. Just. WOW.

I can understand someone asking if you would be interested in their birds. I can understand them asking if you know someone else who might be.

"No, and no," should lead to one of two responses:

"Ok, thanks. Have a good day." OR

"If you hear of or think of anyone, please have them contact me. Thanks, and have a good day."

Dumping chickens, or any other animal for that matter, IS NOT OK!

Sorry for the rant, but I had to share this .....

I have an established flock of a dozen or so hens, and 8 three week old babies, it's all peace and love, with everybody getting along fine.

A neighbor a few miles away has 3 pullet/hens, and a cockerel/rooster that they, for some unknown reason, do not want anymore.

I was contacted 3 times about taking them, and all 3 times, I said NO. I explained that I am concerned about quarantine, health and integration issues, and I would pass on taking them. She was noticeably upset that I didn't want her chickens, and she said, trying to provoke me, that they were just going to stop feeding them, and let them go somewhere.

I said OK .....

Well, she didn't get the response she wanted, and I broke contact with her, so she sent another neighbor up to try to convince me, to no avail.

So, yesterday evening, just about dark, I was walking my dogs up at the end of my 1/4 mile long driveway, which is at the very end of a mile+ long, clearly marked PRIVATE ROAD, and I heard a vehicle coming.

I ducked out of sight into the woods to observe whoever it was, because like I said, PRIVATE ROAD, and I run people off quite frequently. I also open carry a sidearm, cause ya never know ..... Cougar, black bear, 2 legged predators, and all that. Even if the police were called, I have about a 30 minute response time, so nobody is coming to save me, hence the .45.

People seem to think it's OK to park in the circle at the top of my driveway, making out, doing drugs, and leaving trash.

It's not OK.

Anyway, here comes the truck toward my property, and I see it's the neighbor and her husband/boyfriend with a cage in the truck bed !!!

So, I observe as the guy gets out, and opens the tailgate, to reveal 4 chickens in the cage. The dogs, who have been heeling by my side, take action, and run him back to the cab, and as he jumps in, I step out, EXTREMELY agitated, and with a big voice, tell him he is not welcome here, I have several cameras, and I have pictures of him, his truck, and his license number, and the authorities would be contacted. I really do have several cameras set up along the road !

This took the steam right out of him.

He uttered some nonsense about just wanting to see where this road went, and didn't see any of the FIVE, highly visible signs along the PRIVATE ROAD.

Yeah, right ..... Oh, you were just taking the birds for a ride ?????

They didn't admit it, but they were going to release the birds at the top of my driveway ! As they were turning around to leave, I said if I see or hear ANY chickens that aren't mine, I will hunt them down, and shoot them on sight.

I don't know where they dumped those birds, but I hope it's far enough from me that I don't have to take any action. I have enough chickens, and problems of my own !!!

Some people !!!
Oh man. It sounds like they have no idea where else to look or ask either. They need an option or a place to ask

Oh man. It sounds like they have no idea where else to look or ask either. They need an option or a place to ask
Animal shelters will take them in in most areas... of course they will have to pay their fees.. which they don't want to do. Or.. take time and effort to list them, drive to meet people they don't know, you know. Work.

Back
Top Bottom