I feel completely enabled. Thanks to you all! Haha!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by simplybusy, Apr 17, 2011.

1. simplybusy

simplybusy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Got two more babies today!! [​IMG]

This morning we picked up:
    1 BLR Wyandotte
    1 Speckled Sussex

...to add to our already brood of:
    1 Australorp
    1 Barred Rock
    1 EE
    1 Silver Lakenvelder

Now... I'm pretty sure that those all total up to the allowed 4 hens that we can have here in our neighborhood. Right? [​IMG]

I'm starting to have thoughts of "how bad could it be to just move to the country?", versus - "what can I do with these 2 extra chickens?".... wait. They're not chickens yet. Right? Problem solved. [​IMG]
  2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Looks good to me, you might even be short one or two! [​IMG]
  3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    I love chicken math and yes BYC folks are enablers hehe [​IMG]
  4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My chicken calculator says,.... 1,1,1,1 + 1,1 = 2 You're allowed several more to equal your quota of 4! [​IMG]
  5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    I just added a speckled sussex and a GL Wyandotte to my flock! I was only going to have 2 chickens and now I have 5. I'm pretty happy with what I have now. I can't wait until they are fully feathered!
  6. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    a year ago i only wanted 15 BR hens, no roos, now I have 36 chickens(hens,pullets,roos, babies) and now next week going to be hatching quite a few, I just love chicken math hehe
  7. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Okay, I have gone crazy this spring buying chicks and have loved every minute of it. I always felt "safe" because I have a friend who said that she would take anything I didn't want, even the males. [​IMG] We talked today and she asked me when I was going to bring her some chickens. I went out to the barn with a note pad to make a list. After writing some down, crossing some off, then adding some back, and then crumpling it up, I realize I don't want to get rid of any of them, even those I suspect to be males! Is this chicken math at its finest? I must be crazy! [​IMG]
  8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I brought 4 Sebright babies home from work Thursday. DH said what are you bringing 4 chicks home when you have a broody hatching right now? I said I didnt bring 4 i brought a half one home. He gave me the head cocked look. I said these are tiny bantams. It take 4 to even equal 1 chicken and you know that 2 will be boys so that leaves half a chicken. He said I dont like your logic, but they sure are cute.
  9. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    WAIT! I crunched the numbers. You still have no chickens. "Chickens" lay eggs. Chicks don't come with a warrenty. Also what if they are all Roos? STILL no chickens! SO! if you carry the 4 and divide by Roo, you need at least 9 as a buffer.[​IMG]
  10. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    My husband totally doesn't get chicken math! I originally brought home 3 chicks (we can have 2 in town so clearly I needed 3 just in case). But he won't let me even one more!
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by