I feel like a duckling murderer :-(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jun 4, 2011.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:Oh Nicky, it sure was! I cried all the way to the house. Such a beautiful little darling and it didn't stand a chance once I picked up that egg :-( I kept begging please hang on, please hang on...but it couldn't.

Michelle

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    70%cocoa :

You could just as easily have put them in the trash and been none the wiser. But as Duckyfromoz says, now one of them has a chance, which is wonderful. So it was kind of a good accident.... Fingers are crossed for the little one in the 'bator.

Putting them in the trash was exactly what I planned on doing, I honestly didn't think there'd be any development in the eggs let alone life. I have learned one very big lesson today, don't toss until you've candled..no matter what!

Michelle​

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Quote:Putting them in the trash was exactly what I planned on doing, I honestly didn't think there'd be any development in the eggs let alone life. I have learned one very big lesson today, don't toss until you've candled..no matter what!

Michelle

my goodness how sad for you, i also know that feeling. hoping along with everyone else that this egg hatches for you. [​IMG]

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well I candled the other eggs and nothing so they're in the trash. I decided to look in my Pekin's nest at the same time since she was up getting a drink and found a very strange looking egg...I posted a new thread about it here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6589255#p6589255

So
    far the egg in the bator is still ok, but there is a bit of blood under the membrane...ohhh I hope the baby makes it!!
    Michelle

5. Pinx

Pinx Songster

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    [​IMG] I'm sorry. I haven't gone through this, but I'm sure I would have if I hadn't read this post. So maybe you saved a lot of duckies by letting everyone learn from your mistake.

That would be my luck to drop the developing eggs and not the ones that weren't developing.

I hope the one in the incubator pulls through... just don't name it lucky lol It seems like bad luck follows that name.

6. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Oh no!! How sad! But I agree with the other posters, at least the other one has a chance. I know I will be rooting for it to pull through!

On another note, wow, three broody ducks at once?? I thought two was bad enough! lol

7. tgperg

tgperg Songster

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Oh my goodness. I am SO sorry for you! I did the same thing a few weeks back. I was candling eggs and I dropped one and it had a perfect little duckling developing in there. [​IMG] No, I couldn't have dropped one of the duds, had to be the good one. I hope the other one hatches for you!

Traci

8. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Songster

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Its kind of good that this happend because what if they randomly just hatched in the duck house? Random ducklings with adults having un-monitored access to them? It would be worse to walk out there and find 2 baby ducklings in an adults mouth or in their pool, right? I thnk it would have been worse for them to hatch alone than have you on hand!

9. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Songster

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    i know that a broody duck cover her nest when she goes out for food and water. so, you may have a broody duck and you don't know.

10. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    These eggs were all in different places inside the house and under poopy hay, broody poopy hay *blech*. Only 2 of the eggs had developed. For the past month our temps have been in the mid to high 90's..they've been 100 the past two days. My broody girls won't let my other adult girls in the house at all but the last couple of days they've actually let my 12 week old scovies in there ...silly girls!

The egg in the incubator hasn't shown any movement since I got up two hours ago so we may have lost it. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: