I feel like a duckling murderer :-(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    So sorry that happened, Michelle [​IMG]
    but like everyone has said: atleast you can save the other one! Wow it must of been very warm where they were nested, and they never of been able to hatch with no moister to keep from shrinkwrapping - take from it that you saved a baby!

2. 1234duck

1234duck Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Upper Lake, California
    Not to get way off the topic but is it some what normal for a nest of eggs (whether it be duck eggs or chicken eggs) to really have started developing at different stages when you candle? Hope I'm saying this right.. I candled a nest of chicken eggs just last week & the eggs are at different stages. A couple look really close to hatching(full inside the egg), a couple just had the red veins, & a few were not showing anything till I incubated for a few days(now they look fertile). Oh, and the hen that was sitting on that nest, she had hatched 2 babies in a different nest a few weeks ago and i seen her & her babies start sitting on this new nest the next day, but not 24 hours a day. JUST ENOUGH TO HAVE THEM START DEVELOPING? ~Julie~

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Is it possible that other hens are adding eggs to the nest while the broody hen is sitting on it? That would explain the staggered development.

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:When my duck was sitting on a nest and she got off for an hour a day, the chickens would race into her nest and all lay like crazy - I think they just liked they bulky nest full of heaps of eggs. I'd have to keep reaching under her to collect the chicken eggs [​IMG]

But if you have other ducks/chickens producing fertalised eggs they were probably laying when your duck got off for a break - they always like to lay in the same spot.

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    It does sound like others were laying in the nest whenever Mamma was off of it.

Michelle

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    You may need to incubate the last developing chicks, as when the mamma's original chicks hatch she may leave the nest with them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: