I feel like I'm forgetting something

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SandraMort, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    OK, so you have your eggs in the incubator and then they hatch. They move from there to the brooder where they go until they're able to go outdoors to the rabbit hutches or wherever you put them. Then once they're fully sexually mature, you need to make sure the hens are in with an appropriate number of roos to have good fertility and minimal fighting. The remaining males can go to a different pen to finish growing and go to freezer camp.

So... what's a growing out pen? Are there any other steps I'm forgetting?

I have a garage that I can move the pens to in the wintertime. If I have additional light and throw a tarp over three out of four sides to minimize drafts, is there any reason they won't lay all winter?

Thanks,
    Sandra

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Sounds good, they will lay with that set up. A grow out pen is for adolescents that are too big for the brooder and too small for the breeder cage. You only need one cage that will serve as a grow out/breeder.

3. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    How big does it need to be? Once I've got the males identified, can I stick them back into the grow out until they're fully grown?

Quote:

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    The rule of thumb is one sq. feet per bird, but less will work. Just keep all of them together until they are sexually mature and then eat.

5. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    They need 1 per bird even as new hatched babies?

Quote:

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:
    No. Babies, meaning just hatched / 1 week / 2 weeks old can do just great in a pretty small area. I raise Bobs, and I'm gonna say that ranks up there with the testiest (if that's a word?).... [​IMG]

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

im going to try keeping 14 quail in half of my rabbit pen and that half would be 2 x 4.5 i will give it a try and let all you guys know lolz

8. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    2x4.5? Sounds tight. 1 per person means you could comfortably fit nine in there. Maybe ten. Fourteen and I bet they're going to be fighting, at least if they're anything like overcrowded chickens.

9. thekid

most manufactored quail pens used a rule of 1 bird per 0.5sqFT i say why not give it a try if they fight well its a meal

10. thekid

12 hens and 2 roos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by