I feel so bad about my dog.

The body is an amazing thing. Sometimes the body can compensate for things for a very long time before the disease becomes too overwhelming and symptoms occur. Sometimes, especially with internal problems such as a chest tumor that we can not see just by looking at the patient, once those symptoms start to show themselves it seems like everything goes downhill so fast. You start to wonder how you could possibly have missed something so huge. But, as hard as it is to believe, especially in the state of shock and grief that loosing a beloved pet leaves you, as often as not it does happen that quickly. It's not that you missed signs that something was wrong or waited too long to go to the vet, but rather that the body decompensates that quickly.

With my own dog, I knew what symptoms I was looking for and I had suspected that I had been seeing them for a few weeks. But they were also the same symptoms you would expect to see in a dog of her size and age with simple aging changes, so they weren't exactly sinister signs that concerned me. I took her in for her yearly check up on a Monday. There was nothing exciting on her physical exam, it was perfectly normal for a dog of her age and breed. The bloodwork that we did was not terribly remarkable either. It showed that she was a little anemic, but not enough that it was terribly concerning and anemia is common in older animals. Because she was a german shepherd and the breed is prone to hemangiosarcomas, we did x-rays to see if there were any masses that the vet couldn't feel on the physical exam. The x-rays were inconclusive, there was nothing there that screamed tumor. We did decide to do an abdominal ultrasound, just because the area of her spleen was not clearly visible on the x-rays and she was anemic and she was a breed that was high risk for splenic tumors. The ultrasound found free fluid in her abdomen, and an enlarged (although not enormous) spleen, both of which are indicative of hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. My vet told me that she probably had 3-6 months left and while surgery and chemotherapy were options they probably wouldn't buy her much time and they would make her very uncomfortable for a fair part of the time those procedures would have bought (and I've seen it myself first hand with a client's dog...it wasn't something I was willing to put my old girl through). So we went home and planned to spoil her for the next few months. We lost her that Friday, not even a week after the diagnosis of cancer. The morning we lost her, she went on a long walk/run through the forest with me and my younger dog, tearing off into the woods to chase squirrels and appearing a few minutes later panting happily. That day she was perfectly normal, and that evening when we left to go out for dinner she was fine. By the time we got home, she was acting a little off. In the hour and a half that it took the vet to get to the house, she went from just nervous and panting/pacing to stumbling and falling over when she got up to bark at the vet at the door.

Cause of death was :

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Canine Hemangiosarcoma (HSA)[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]There was no real hope as the Tumor in the chest had ruptured which caused bleeding into the heart.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Oesdog [/FONT]

I'm sorry Oes. I know that knowing doesn't make Murphy's death any easier for you, but hopefully it will make coming to terms with your decision easier. Hemangiosarcoma is one of the worst, and there really is very little that can be done in the way of early diagnostic or treatment. Even with early diagnostic and the most advanced treatments, survival time is almost never longer than a year, and usually less than that. You most definitely did the only kind thing you could have done for your boy and I hope the diagnosis puts to rest any lingering doubts you have about fulfilling your duty to love and protect him to the end.

Knowing has really helped out a lot.
I know now the first Vet should have picked up on the bleed and she should have done Blood tests. This would have shown up to be a possible sign of the tumor. That said it would have meant we would have had Murph put to sleep a lot earlier than we did because with this cancer and the rupture there was really no way he would have survived. Long term we may have gotten a few months with aggressive treatments but who wants to put their dog through that? I watched my mother-in-law die a terrible death with cancer and I sure wouldn;t wish it on my very cowardly Murphy. He really didn't do pain very well at all. Now I know why he looked so relieved when he finally put his head down on DHs lap to die. He never struggled - it was a release and I know that now.
The nice Vet knew that. He was experienced enough to know without a doubt that this was what was wrong with Murphy.
We did the right thing.

Oesdog

So sad for you :( I read your post with tears eyes - & even noticed you are near me!
Think of how much you did for Murphy - he was lucky to find you x

You absolutely 'did the right thing' for Murphy every minute of every day he lived with you ----
His look of relief as he died was a 'thank you' from him for the life he'd had with you ---

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom