I feld kinda bad taking my hens first egg from her :(

fushalilly

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
I mean, it wasnt fertile or anything, but I just feel bad. She laid it in the right next box and everything. Now when she goes back, it wont be there. Will she be discouraged and think she laid in the wrong spot? Im sad now. I cant even put it back! I ate it!

Well they've been bred for this purpose for centuries. She'd have been upset if you didn't take the egg! She'd think you didn't like it.
big_smile.png

My trio just started laying a couple days ago, too. Actually, they seemed all freaked out by the two eggs they'd laid, and when I took the two eggs from the laying box, all three hens mellowed out and went outside for a walk and to start foraging. They seemed relieved to have the decision taken care of for them (ie, to sit on their eggs versus going outside and destroy my perennial garden).

I take the eggs and tell them what good girls they are and to keep up the good work! I always leave a golf ball in there so they know where to lay though. If you don't take them, they will start to peck at them and then become "Egg Eaters" a very bad thing.

I get what you mean. I feel almost like I'm stealing from the girls. Of course, that doesn't stop me from taking them but, I understand feeling bad.
wink.png

It's really a problem when they are looking at you with that "What do you think you are doing" look. I try to take them when they aren't looking
big_smile.png

I don't really mind taking the eggs. They're not fertile or anything; the hens are just going the leave them anyway. And it's downright cute when on hen, Olympia, just coos talks to you when you take the egg. I agree with chickster; they seem releived to have their minds made up for them.

Okay, an update (since I'm a newbie like you!) My 3 girls have been laying for one week now, and they are totally fine now with me taking their eggs. They lay 'em, and then they leave 'cause they now I am taking them. At first, they stayed on the eggs, but about 2 or 3 days into that routine, they were totally comfortable bailing on their eggs even before I showed up to abscond with them! If they are nearby, I praise them, but more often than not, they're in their run or in the backyard. And if they are sitting there getting ready to lay, I just pet them and they stay mellow.

Back
Top Bottom