I finally found DE! So.. what should I do with it?

So what you're saying is that the DE laden straw is dumped into your compost pile, where the DE prevents/kills tiny little bugs and such from decomposing the straw. Correct? "Not exactly sure."

I am exactly sure that my compost pile is so hot right now that no bugs are in there,
which is exactly how I want it right now. So, exactly, what is your question?

There may not be any insect or bug activity at the center of a hot compost pile. I've had mine in excess of 160 degrees at the center in the middle of winter before. However, any healthy compost pile will have lots and lots of insects eating and turning all of that carbon and nitrogen into black gold away from the hottest parts of the pile.

Having said that, since a compost pile needs moisture to operate most efficiently and quickly, I don't think that DE would have a huge negative impact on the insect life there.

Last edited:
There may not be any insect or bug activity at the center of a hot compost pile. I've had mine in excess of 160 degrees at the center in the middle of winter before. However, any healthy compost pile will have lots and lots of insects eating and turning all of that carbon and nitrogen into black gold away from the hottest parts of the pile.
Having said that, since a compost pile needs moisture to operate most efficiently and quickly, I don't think that DE would have a huge negative impact on the insect life there.

and it hasn't had an impact on the moisture either.
I'm not using pounds of DE in the coop. More like 2
cups every other week.

There has been plenty of discussion about food grade DE here. Those who want to believe that food grade DE has sharp little edges that will cut open a bug's body will believe it no matter what. It's pool grade that has that, as a result of being heat treated. It's what makes that type such a bad risk for inhaling. Not that any dust is exactly good to inhale.

Pest control

Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[12] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations, but this method may take weeks to work.[13]
[edit]

Use in agriculture

Natural freshwater diatomaceous earth is used in agriculture for grain storage as an anticaking agent, as well as an insecticide.[16] It is approved by the US Department of Agriculture as a feed supplement.

It is also used as a neutral anthelmintic (dewormer). Some farmers add it to their livestock and poultry feed to improve the health of animals.[17] "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth" is widely available in agricultural feed supply stores. It is acceptable as organic feed additive for livestock.

Pest control

Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[12] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations, but this method may take weeks to work.[13]
[edit]

Use in agriculture

Natural freshwater diatomaceous earth is used in agriculture for grain storage as an anticaking agent, as well as an insecticide.[16] It is approved by the US Department of Agriculture as a feed supplement.

It is also used as a neutral anthelmintic (dewormer). Some farmers add it to their livestock and poultry feed to improve the health of animals.[17] "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth" is widely available in agricultural feed supply stores. It is acceptable as organic feed additive for livestock.

As I said, it's a desiccant. It dries things out but it doesn't cut or scrape them. It is used as a wormer but there is no real evidence that it works. Since it works by drying things out, I fail to see how it's going to kill worms in the body since it's wet at that point.

All I know as a simple farm family, it has worked well for us.
To each there own.
Use it or not, that's totally up to you.
As long as it's NOT hurting my chickens, and I don't think there
is any harm in it.
May the OP try it, and decide for themselves!
Agree?

Agreed. Often there is so many opinions, that people get confused. It will not hurt them to use it. It might even provide a nutrient or something even if it doesn't worm them. I don't know, but I'm all about trying it out and seeing what works for you. Just do not, please, think your chickens will never need any other pest control or worming if you use it. At the very least, have a vet check a stool sample some time to be sure. Don't wait till you see worms in their poo, by then it will be a pretty bad infestation.

Agreed. Often there is so many opinions, that people get confused. It will not hurt them to use it. It might even provide a nutrient or something even if it doesn't worm them. I don't know, but I'm all about trying it out and seeing what works for you. Just do not, please, think your chickens will never need any other pest control or worming if you use it. At the very least, have a vet check a stool sample some time to be sure. Don't wait till you see worms in their poo, by then it will be a pretty bad infestation.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and responses. Since I've already purchased it I'm going to use it. I sprinkled some in and around the coop when I cleaned it out yesterday. The main issues I'm interested it remedying and preventing are FLIES in the coop and run and preventing mites and other external parasites. I actually work as a veterinary technician and carry stool samples into work with me every now and again to check for intestinal parasites so as far as those I was just looking for a profilactic approach if possible. I appreciate your replies. I'm still learning (aren't we all) and will try different approaches and see what works best for me and my girls.

Back
Top Bottom