I FINALLY get it!!!!

Hobbley_Farm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Pilot Mountain, NC
The chick that I have hatched and the FIRST one that seems to be successful, is amazing!
jumpy.gif
I guess I imprinted on her or something.
jumpy.gif
She is in with the chicks I ordered from ideal. They are all in my closet (different story) When I go in and want to hold one, she's the only one that runs TO me!
wee.gif
I hold her in my hand and I make Cheep Cheep sounds and she responds!
D.gif
I hold her up to my face and she pecks at my mouth like i'm her mama birdie.
love.gif
When I talk to her she makes these purring type dove sounds. She's actually wanting to be paid attention to! All the others from Ideal are just chicks compared to her. We have named her "Peepers" because my tot calls her "PEEP PEEP". NOW I understand how people end up with "Lap chickens" or chickens that fly up on their shoulder when they enter the yard.
ya.gif
My other chickens are not friendly like that. They're not MEAN,
idunno.gif
but they just don't come running for attention This is REALLY COOL!

And it starts!! LOL Another chicken addict...taken in by those beady little eyes, and soft chick purrs. The others will warm up too....start with giving them treats....from your hands. They will come to know the hand = treats. Wont be long untill you have several little chickies on your lap.

you won't believe it. (or maybe you will) but I just checked on the chickies and found peepers flattened and dead. aaaahhhHH!!!! That kills me! I guess the others just piled on top of her or something. I know the first thing people will say is that it was too cold and they were all huddling up for warmth and she just got trampled. I tend to agree, however the brooder is in a closet with the door kept shut and a brooder light right over thirty percent so that they can get under it if they need to or away from it if they need to. nearly all the time they're spread out and content. I haven't seen them pile on one another one time. Do yo uthink she might have died from something else and then others sat on her? It's just so strange. Or should I just get use to these bizarre things happening? Man, this really SUCKS! she was so cute and so personable comparatively. Gawd, I just can't believe it!

i'm so sorry that happened
sad.png

our sweetest chick who behaved like that has been aloof for a while and our skittish ones turned out to be the lap chickens. don't lose hope, the hatchery ones could turn out lap chickens too, you never know.

Don't beat yourself up, dear. We've all been there! I had a peep that I naively left with a mother hen, only to have it torn to shreds. I felt bad for weeks over that. I think it's all part of the experience.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom