I finally got my dream parrot!!!

C&Rman

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Nevada
Hello all. Today I finally went and picked up one of my dream parrots that I never thought I'd own. He is a 10 year old, double yellow headed amazon. His name is Kahonah and he is was a show bird up until his owner had to move. He is the tamest bird I have ever owned (sorry for bragging.
roll.png
) Anyway here are some photos of him. Also what should I feed him? I think he may be a little obese because he is really large, wide and heavy. I was thinking of introducing him to Zupreem fruit blend as his main pellet food will this be enough for him? He will also get all his veggies and sweet potatoes. :)

Thanks. I think I'm gonna go pick up his girlfriend too. The guy I bought him from said he would seperate from her just fine. But I don't think so he calls for her allot and says her name allot. It's cute but sad.

He is so pretty congrats! That is sad about his gf, I would definitely get her too but I'm a sucker. If you use the Zupreem pellets I would atleast get the natural one rather then the fruit or veggie ones, I have read you should avoid dye with birds and I try to avoid any bird food that looks like fruity pebbles lol. I use Totally Organic Pellets (http://totallyorganics.com/categories.php) for my birds mixed with a seed mix that my bird store makes plus fresh veggies and fruits. Good luck with him and his gf if you get her too.

Wow! organic food is expensive, lol. What type of parrots do you have, was it hard to get your birds to eat it? I am a sucker too, espically when it comes to animals. So I went and picked up Jasper (his girlfriend) and now they act like they have never met. They yell at eachother with their beaks open, and tongues out, lol.

Wow! organic food is expensive, lol. What type of parrots do you have, was it hard to get your birds to eat it? I am a sucker too, espically when it comes to animals. So I went and picked up Jasper (his girlfriend) and now they act like they have never met. They yell at eachother with their beaks open, and tongues out, lol.
That's funny that they are acting like that now, I'm sure after a few days they will be back to normal.

Right now I only have parrotlets so it isn't that expensive since they are little plus I also get it from my local bird store and they are cheaper. My birds were always babies or young when I started giving it to them so they took to it pretty quickly. Older birds tend to be more difficult. I know people who use the zupreem brand and they said it has worked well for them and the birds liked it, they just recommend the natural one because of the dye.

This is the one. I think they have another type of natural food but it's more expensive-
http://www.zupreem.com/our-food/birds/natural-premium-daily-bird-food

Beautiful! I love the amazons! If i were you i would try to start your newest arrival with pelleted food and fresh sprouted seed. I use Lafabers Pellets for parrots, a good quality mix seed three times a week and fresh sprouted seeds 4-5 times a week. Congrats on your new family feathered member! Ruth

Congrats on your amazon :) they're great birds !! Just wanted to let you know our experiences in hopes of maybe helping you with yours. We have a blue fronted amazon Walley the sweetest of our birds - as most amazons are , Inga - African Gray, Rosie - rose breasted cockatoo, Connie & Charlie - conures , Hoodie - senegal parrot ( we have chickens too LOL ) and we feed ours Natural ZuPreem Pellets. We were told not to use anything colored as parrots have colors they hate & like so by using the natural - non colored they aren't quite as wasteful and it's said once you pair birds together in the same cage... they sometimes become so bonded to each other they don't have as much , if any, interest in humans - like our Conures , tho that's fine by us as we don't care to make our birds Show or U Tube birds and if that's all they eat it's suppose to be fine & complete, none of ours are much on fruits or vege's but they do love their treats / rewards of air popped popcorn, unshelled , unsalted & raw , cashews, pistacio's & peanuts , Natural peanut butter on bread and the usual. Hope this helps you some too.

Take Care,
RiverKatt

Back
Top Bottom