i finally had to give in and get a heat lamp for the chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by boykin2010, Dec 7, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    it made me really aggravated but i finally got a heat lamp for my chickens. it has been really cold here lately and 2 night ago was when i decided that anything under 30 degrees they needed a heat lamp. i got one for them last night because it was 25 degrees outside!!! that is so abnormal for georgia it is very unusual for anything to freeze. the reason i didnt want to get one until it was absolutely necessary is because i have read so many postings on here about dead chickens and burnt coops because the heat lamp will catch the coop on fire. Last night i actually dreamed the coop was on fire and i woke up and looked out the window and everything was ok. i really need reasurance everything will be ok. anyway else using heat lamps? does it work for you

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's been down to the 20s here so far this winter and I refuse to give them heat. It's not worth the risk, not only for fire but in case the power goes out (as it often does here in rural Arkansas). I don't want them to get used to being warm and toasty and then lose power.
    Both sets of my birds are doing fine - the big 'uns and the juveniles, including the two silkies.

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    It's been below zero here several nights and my chickens have no supplemental heat. They're doing fine.

I think they'd rather be a little chilly than dead from a heat lamp fire, but maybe I'm anthropomorphizing.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

25 isn't so bad. My standards and banties slept outside in their run when it was 15.

5. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    25 is a walk in the park for my girls. I don't think the risk of fire is worth it. Anyway your chickens can handle much colder than that.

6. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Chickens can easily survive -26*F temperatures IF they are acclimated. If I lived in an area where they were used to daytime temperatures of 50-60* and it got to be 25*. I would get a heat lamp too.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No need for heat lamps, they will do well!

8. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    well i already bought a heat lamp now so i should go ahead and use it. how bad are the chances of something happening. I mean is it 1 in 10 or 1 in 100 1 in 100???? does anybody know? i thought that chickens combs get frost bit when it gets below freezing. what is the temperature where you would get them a heat lamp.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Heat lamps are a source of fires every year.....I don't know the odds. I guess it depends on how careful you are with it.

I don't heat any of my coops and it gets much colder here than you are right now.

10. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It was colder than that here. I not only don't have heat, half of one wall is open air, plus all the eaves, and I have 5 chicks just over a week old. The chicks run around much of the day, run under mama for a few minutes then right back out. I went out at 5 AM today to check. The hens were spread over all the roosts (which would hold about 50 birds) and only a few were even cuddled up to another one. Mama was blissfully asleep in her hay filled nest.

I can't believe there is anywhere in Georgia that needs a heat lamp, ever, not with a well ventilated coop that blocks the wind.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by