i finished the new enclosure!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KrazyKZ08, Oct 11, 2011.

1. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    ive been needing to make a bigger enclosure for my 2 ducks and i finally did it! ive been tight on money but after the an opossum got in their other cage i had to rush it.

[​IMG]

it is made of PVC pipe, chicken wire, and zip-ties. i anchored it down so it cant be lifted either. it is 15'x6'x6'. altogether the cost came out to a little over $200. my yard is very narrow and long as you can see so this is the biggest i could make it. for the 2 ducks it seems roomy enough. its not the most luxurious enclosure but they seem to like it [​IMG]

2. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    awesome!

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I like your idea. I would only caution that some predators can get through chicken wire. Also, I can't tell from the pic but if you have any predators that will dig, put an apron around the bottom if you don't have one.

4. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    Quote:i know [​IMG] i wanted hardware cloth but it was just too expensive so i had to settle for the chicken wire. i would like to someday replace it all with hardware cloth when i get the money. i was just desperate because they have both been so stressed out. and what would you recommend as an apron? that is a really good idea, i just wasnt sure how to pull it off because the border is so close to the fence and the side of the house. my yard is fenced in all around too i just wanted to make sure they had overhead protection lol. i appreciate the input and thank you. im expecting to add what i can to it.

5. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i know [​IMG] i wanted hardware cloth but it was just too expensive so i had to settle for the chicken wire. i would like to someday replace it all with hardware cloth when i get the money. i was just desperate because they have both been so stressed out. and what would you recommend as an apron? that is a really good idea, i just wasnt sure how to pull it off because the border is so close to the fence and the side of the house. my yard is fenced in all around too i just wanted to make sure they had overhead protection lol. i appreciate the input and thank you. im expecting to add what i can to it.

We used part of the fence and frame of the fence in our design. We lined the fence with chicken wire and down into the ground, plus we already had a skirt on the fence to keep the doggies from digging. This helped to minimize cost of materials. I figured the fence itself is a barrier but made stronger with chicken wire overlaying it. The open parts I have used welded wire on the outside with chicken wire on the inside. We still need to roof it, that will be done soon. Here is a pic. Just some ideas to utilize the space you have. I love to see what other people are doing with their enclosures, gives me lot's of modification ideas for next spring! lol
    [​IMG]

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Yeah, chicken wire won't keep out raccoons...I found that out the hard way with my first coop/run in 2009. On BYC I saw where a guy used pvc pipe (not too expensive) and inserted the pipe into curved joints that he attached to the kennel brace at the top of the fence to make a roof with a pitch. He covered it in hardware cloth, which would be rather expensive with the length of your run, so chicken wire would work tied on like you did with your kennel fencing. If you don't do the pvc pipe type roof, I suggest covering the top of the coop with something....chicken wire, or a tarp that has 2 x 4's placed in several places braced in the ground to arch the tarp into the air...with the roof being pitched the water will run off. We tried the tarp thing before and unless you have a pitch, the rain water and snow will collect in the middle and what a mess that is trying to pick it up full of water, plus it will flood your run. For a surround on the ground, I've heard of placing large rocks around it...again the cost?....fencing layed in the ground at least 18 inches from the kennel, but it will have to have something on top to keep it from being accessible and/or moving, or you could use chicken wire on the floor that's attached to the base of your run. I just built a new coop/run and this time I made sure there was no way a raccoon could dig under it (hardware cloth), enter the walls of the coop (hardware cloth) or enter any of the doors which have hasp locks on them, or come in through the top...it's roofed. As new chicken or duck parents, it's all trial and error and eventually you will find what works for you and your babies. Best of luck to you all! You will enjoy them like you won't believe!!! They become family just like a pet dog or cat!

7. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    i really like yours! the metal bars on the outside look alot more secure. my original plan was going to be a lot like that, but after taking a look at everyone else's the pvc pipe looked good because the price and its lighter and easier to move around if i have to, especially for that size. i could also take it appart and put it back together in case of hurricanes. i had no idea raccoons could get through the chicken wire [​IMG] im really worried now. i am wanting to get a more secure lock for the door too.

8. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

You could put something inside you can lock them into at night. Like a different dog house with a door or build a shelter with a locking door. That way if something does get in the pen, you ducks will still be safe. Look for free play houses or sheds, or even dog houses on craigslist. Free building material, rocks etc. There is a lot you can get for free, you just have to be able to go get it and haul it back.

9. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    Quote:yeah thats a good idea, i just dont want to take her away from her nest because she likes to sit on it at night [​IMG] but keeping her in a closed shelter at night will probably help the neighbors sleep! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by