I followed advice given to me BUT….

Got13now

Chirping
Dec 5, 2022
Mountain City TN
So I put my ladies and gentleman into the run for a week. They all were quite accepting of this to my surprise.
I watched them, looking for an egg eater. I searched for any evidence that may prove that there is a bad chicken egg eater. I did come to the conclusion that there is no egg eater but I made changes to the nesting boxes so the eggs rolled into a compartment which prevents the chickens from getting the eggs. Well, some don’t get upset with the new set up and use the nest boxes. Some are laying eggs in the coop but not in the boxes.
There is a good bit of feathers scattered around. I don’t think the chickens are molting because they all turned a year old this month. I never have seen them scratching their bodies. Some have a loose feather here and there but they are not sickly looking. They seem to get along with each other. Now Big Jim my rooster , I am not sure if he likes me or hates me. Yesterday, after giving them some meal worms, I turned away to leave and that lil monster jumped on my back . I spun around and he was really fluffed up. I turned my back on him and he did it again! What is that about ?
Currently, the egg count has gone up from 0 to 3 eggs a day to 3 to 5 eggs daily. Not like the 8 to 10 eggs. The only change to their lifestyle was that 2 hens were mothering 2 chicks they hatched. Also, another hen just hatched 2 chicks but they all don’t seem to even notice that.
So, I am so confused about the feather loss, and decrease in eggs.
I really appreciate all the help from you all thus far and appreciate any advice now.

Yeah, the molting explains the egg decrease, too. Watch out for that rooster, because once they start attacking it gets worse from there. There are lots of tips about calming a mean rooster on here. Whether or not you think it's worth the effort is up to you.

I did come to the conclusion that there is no egg eater .....
the egg count has gone up from 0 to 3 eggs a day to 3 to 5 eggs daily. Not like the 8 to 10 eggs.....
2 hens were mothering 2 chicks they hatched. Also, another hen just hatched 2 chicks.....
...unless it's perhaps a snake or two eating the eggs? Also, considering that they are a year old and sexually mature, maybe they're just busy mother hens or want to be. Three mother hens takes three egg-layers out of the daily production. They won't lay when they've got babies to tend to.

There is a good bit of feathers scattered around. I don’t think the chickens are molting because they all turned a year old this month.
I wonder if you've still got a predator (including snakes) hanging about when you don't see it. Might account for the feathers flying about, and the stress will lead to fewer eggs too. I know you lost one hen already. Most predators are smart; once fed at your dinner table, they'll come back again and again for more.

OTOH, it's not too soon for the fall molt to begin. Days are getting shorter and that triggers molt. Hens won't lay as often when they're molting, either.

Now Big Jim my rooster , I am not sure if he likes me or hates me. .....
I can't say for sure that chickens can "like" or "dislike" any human. They can associate good or bad things from one human or another, and seek your company if you have something they want (treats, safety, petting...) but IMO that doesn't equate to affection. Big Jim likely sees you as a threat to his dominance over the flock. You had just fed them some mealworms. Big Jim knows *he* is supposed to be the provider, to show the hens where the treats are; and that a good provider attracts the most hens. Therefore, you feeding his hens might lure some of them away from him. I suggest that next time, feed Jim first; drop some treats in front of him, then let HIM tell the hens, "Look what I found for you! Treats!"

This is just my opinion about the rooster, but this is also my experience. When I put the chickens in the run for a few days after they've had a bigger area to roam about, my rooster tries to attack me. I personally think he's mad about the smaller area for his girls, and he wants me to open those doors up now. I've also noticed that when the flock is stressed, he attacks more.

I don't understand this 'logic'.
Molting in summer is not common.
Either is "first birthday".
First fall might explain a cessation in laying and a molt.
I've never seen birds molt in the fall, it's always been late summer or late winter.
There are several molts during a bird's first year, the biggest one is about when they hit a year, give or take a few months.
Several of my year olds months are molting right now and they look like heck microwaved.
It could be something to do with which part of the hemisphere you're at.

Back
Top Bottom