I followed advice given to me BUT….

Strange that your Bielefelder boy is being aggressive. I have that breed and got them mainly because my research indicated the roosters are gentle and non-aggressive.

I've had several roosters in several breeds and many have gone to freezer camp due to aggression. What I've learned is: 1) NEVER turn your back on a rooster, ever. Stand still with your feet pointed towards him (they watch your feet for clues) and wait for him to move away from you. I'll point to where I want Cyrus to go and tell him, "Cyrus, go on." He'll go fairly soon. 2) Don't strike at or hit a rooster. You're training him to fight you. 3) If he doesn't move when you walk firmly but calmly towards him, stand your ground, bend slightly from the waist towards him and stick both your elbows out--make yourself look big. And stare him down. 4) If he "jumps" at you, like in a feint, do your best to stand stock still. He's testing the waters. My first rooster (Bl. Austral.) did this to me and, unfortunately, I reacted by jumping backwards. I saw the light bulb go off in his head..... He was sent to freezer camp a few months and a few attacks later. My experience is that an attacking rooster won't be reformed. I tried hard to reform but no dice.

Cyrus, the current rooster, has been very good but he has challenged me on occasion. I've done the above and he has learned that I'm the head honcho. He did attack me once but I was wearing a vibrant fuchsia colored dress that the wind was blowing and I was walking behind a hen. He thought I was ruffling my feathers to attack his girl. Now, I make sure to hold my dress around my legs if I go into the yard with that particular color on. No further problems.

By the way, pay attention to the color you're wearing when he is aggressive. Red, pink, orange and fuchsia are "fighting" colors.

Hope this helps some. Learning how to speak "rooster" can be a challenge!

Oh yeah, most of my flock, rooster included, is molting. The coop looks like a horrible fight occurred with feathers everywhere! Yard, too. Last year, everyone molted during the hard winter weather. I think summer is a much better time for them.....

I dont trust my roosters (RIRs - father & son) they are great with their girls but Ive learned never to turn my back on them and I carry a big stick w me when Im near them. Also I always put treats out before I let them out of the pen (and stay out if their way). Gosh - if I didnt do it that way they all rush at me and its truely terrifying LOL. They certainly are interesting to watch - always chicken drama going on!

Establishing a relationship with a rooster takes consistency. The first time my roo tried to jump me was after I got back from a week-long trip. So I just picked him up (caught him mid-air) and carried him around with me as I did the other chores. He didn't try for a while after that. He tests me every so often, especially if i get between him and one of my more skittish girls. But as long I assure him that I'm not going to back down and that I'm not going to hurt his ladies, we have no trouble. I also make sure to spend time in his "territory" while they're all in there before I let them out to free range. (Usually just for the simple daily chores, like refreshing water, and filling the feeder, and tossing treats) he's used to me being in his territory, so I suspect he needed a reminder after that week of my absence.

I like the suggestion to direct the treats at him first so he can show the ladies. I tend to toss their treats (oats and scratch grains) in several places so he can go from patch to patch "finding" them for his girls.

Establishing a relationship with a rooster takes consistency. The first time my roo tried to jump me was after I got back from a week-long trip. So I just picked him up (caught him mid-air) and carried him around with me as I did the other chores. He didn't try for a while after that. He tests me every so often, especially if i get between him and one of my more skittish girls. But as long I assure him that I'm not going to back down and that I'm not going to hurt his ladies, we have no trouble. I also make sure to spend time in his "territory" while they're all in there before I let them out to free range. (Usually just for the simple daily chores, like refreshing water, and filling the feeder, and tossing treats) he's used to me being in his territory, so I suspect he needed a reminder after that week of my absence.

I like the suggestion to direct the treats at him first so he can show the ladies. I tend to toss their treats (oats and scratch grains) in several places so he can go from patch to patch "finding" them for his girls.
I've found the same to be true and use the same techniques. The less time I spend doing chores the more likely one of my guys will need a reminder.They're almost a year old

Back
Top Bottom