1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Forgot About Them!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wbruder17, Jan 11, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Oh my goodness! Tonight is COLD and extrmely windy. My dog got out (again) and I went looking for him to discover I had forgotten to put my chickens back in their enclosure. They haven't been free ranging for a while and I let them out. Then my friend came over and it got dark.

Poor little babies! 4 were huddled together on the doorstep and 5 were on top of the roof, huddled together, with the wind blowing their feathers all over! I got the 3 on the ground in and safe and then I had to climb on the roof and hand chickens down to my friend. One escaped, and we chased it all over the yard, trying to herd it in. I finally was able to grab it, and, as my rooster is crowing his brains out in the coop, the caught chicken let's out a bloodcurdling scream! Like I was a fox going to eat her! Never heard a scream like that out of a chicken before.

I won't be forgetting to put the chickens back in for a looooong time.....or letting them out, for that matter. What a fiasco! Welcome to my life.

Oh! And the dog was across the street eating the neighbor's compost....again.

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I am glad they were all okay! Good job 'herding' them. I understand that chickens don't see well in the dark so the one you had to chase down probably thought that she was going to be killed. Poor baby!

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Glad they are ok.

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Well, I got 5 eggs today, don't know if they're from the ladies locked out or not.... thought they were all traumatized enough to not lay today..... but 5 is the most I've gotten in months. Granted, I have 20+ chickens and only 10 or so were forgotten last night....so whatevs. Glad for ANY eggs these days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by