I found a chicken, please help!!

jordanwang07

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
UPDATED ON PAGE 3!!!

Hi everyone, thanks for clicking on my thread.

I guess this isn't an urgent emergency, but I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything to jeopardize the health of my chicken. I read through the stickies, but I have so many beginner questions, I thought it would just be more efficient to ask in one thread.

The story is pretty much I caught a chicken at the parking lot of a shopping mall. Some local kids were trying to kill it, so I caught it and took it home. I did some research and concluded it's an Old English Game Fowl. It looks energetic and healthy. I let it roam in my backyard for the past two days, and I fed her some dry oatmeal and bread crums. Then I saw some cat preying the chicken, so now I have her put in a dog house I built for my last dog. The dog house is about 3x2 feet.

Now my questions are how do I give it water? I saw there are specific chicken waterers. Right now I just put a flat bowl with some water in it, but i haven't seen her drink it.

Is it possible to raise a hen by itself? I know some animals must be social and raised with its own kind.

She doesn't move much when she's in the dog house. Is this normal?

And how much lighting does she need? The dog house is tucked away so there's not much sunlight. So I have a lamp for artificial lighting. How long do I need it on for?

Thank you guys for your help. If the mods think it belongs to a different forum, feel free to move it. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Good work on the rescue!

The dog house is fine for now. The thing about lighting is if you want them to lay when the days become shorter. You will probably want to hang around and read and ask questions here while you decide how much you want to put into the chicken life. We're all a little crazy, but chickens are just cool.

A bowl or better, a bucket for water works great. You need to pick up some layer pellets from a feed store. You're doing great in a pinch, but she'll need more that thise two items can supply her.

Chickens do best in at least a pair. They are flock members and like having company. This is where Chicken Math first come into play. Enough about that for now. You'll get the hang of it and it's extremely easy. NO TESTS!

You should probably look up information on worming and dusting for pests, since this is the season and you have no idea where your chicken has been.

This is just basic for now, so there's a ton of info on this site and I'm sure you'll get more help also.

Congrats on your new pet!

Good job and welcome to BYC.

Chickens don't handle stress all that well and going from being chased in a parking lot to new surroundings would probably count as stress. So it might take some time to adjust to everything. A calm place is a good thing.

Chickens will drink from anything. I empty my chicken waterers to put in new water and they chase the water on the ground drinking it for crying out loud. Chicken waterers make it convenient for you.

Chickens are social flock creatures so I'd try to find her a companion or ten. Chicken math. I went from 8 in May of 2010 to over 55 by the end of the year.

Post a picture if you can.,

welcome-byc.gif

well, he/she will need some layers feed from the feed store and water, a bowl is perfectly fine, you may need a light b/c it is getting darker. You may want some electryolites, sevin dust, and maybe worm them with valbazen, there is plenty of posts on this. And they do better with at least another buddy, i think being alone may cause stress. Good Luck with your chicken!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

You have made my day... Just when I think that people just don't care anymore you come along and just blow that notion out of the water... Thank you so much for taking this sweet little innocent baby home... It just breaks my heart that anyone would harm any animal... They are tough little creatures, I had one whose whole rear end had been pecked and would have bled to death had we not found her when we did... She never went a day without laying and I was amazed how even hurt she still gave us an egg a day... She is back to 100%... I agree with the others that have posted... She was so lonely in that crate until she was able to go back into the flock... So if you can get her a friend that will be great... Goodluck and thank you so much for saving her life...
love.gif

Thanks you all for the great advice and kind words! I've had many pets, but never a chicken. I'm so glad people are willing to help a beginner get started. I'll try to get some pictures later to see if my current set up is okay.

I had some left over pine bedding from my hamsters and guinea pigs. Are they okay to use with chickens? I put some in the corner of the cage thinking it would be more comfortable to lay on.

Do they need some sort of artificial heat? I live in Northern California, and it doesn't snow but gets a little chilly at night.

If I get another chicken of the same breed, would they make more noises? The girl by itself doesn't make a lot of noises (thank god! or my neighbors might kill me). I live in the city, so I can't afford to have them make much noises.

And is there some way to approximate the chicken's age?

I'll head to Petsmart in a couple hours and get her some necessities, food, and maybe some mealworm treats. Happy hump day!!

Quote:
I'm in th Central Valley and it gets really cold here. More than people realize, but as long as she is not wet or have drafts, she should be fine with no heat. Matter of fact, sometimes it's worse to add it. She'll be fine. If you need a friend for her and don't care what breed I can give you a 3 or so month old pullet to keep her company. It will either be a brown or green egg layer. I have one or two that I may be willing to part with. I'm concentrating manly on my pure bred right now and trying to build those up, so I'd be happy to give you one of these mixes.

Mealworms? She'll be in heaven
smile.png

I'd take wolftracks up on her offer of a friend or two for her. They'll keep each other company and warm. Good job on the rescue. How terrifying it must be to be chased to your death
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom