I found a chicken sitting on eggs and I don't know what to do for her

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Natalie Jo, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Natalie Jo

Natalie Jo New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    I discovered a hen sitting on a big nest full of eggs and I am not sure what to do to help her. Here's the scenario:

She is hidden in an area that is used to house winter tires, old bicycles, lawn mowers, etc. She is not currently being disturbed by any other animals. There are dogs and cats in the area that may be a danger once the eggs hatch. She is in a hard to get to location. I put dry cat food and a dish of fresh water in front of her and I see she has eaten the food and much of the water was gone so I replenished both supplies.
    I know she needs something healthier to eat, what would I buy?
    What do I do if and when the eggs hatch?
    Do I need to provide a special food for the chicks?
    What do I do to keep her and her babies safe?

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I am not sure where this silly girl came from or how she ended up in that old shed, but there she is sitting on her nest full of eggs and here I am wondering what the heck to do to help her.

Natalie

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Is the storage shed on your property??? If so, can you close the door at night and open it during the day? I would worry that a raccoon might get her at night.

You can buy her regular chicken food (chick food would even be okay - and that way the chicks could eat it after they hatch) from almost any farm supply store - many pet stores carry chick food too, at least in my area.

Does anyone in your area keep chickens - who might be missing her??? You could ask around. If not, and you decide to keep her, I would start looking up information on simple coops so that you can keep her and the chicks safe after they hatch.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Scramble her some eggs...Wild bird seed if you have some? grass...fruit, veggies.
    Call a local shelter. they will help find her a home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by