1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I found a chicken!!!!!... WHAT DO I DO WITH IT??? ~(PICS)~

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mahsmaj, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I was at a friends house when I saw this chicken across the road just walking around clucking a lot. It was all alone so I decided to catch it. My friend helped me put something together really fast to house the chicken for a while but she doesnt want to keep the bird... Should it be fine with my chickens back at home???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You may want to check around the neighborhood and see if anyone is missing a rooster. Some folks let their chickens free range and he may have wandered off.

If he has no home, then he should be okay with your chickens. But always quarantine first. i think i've heard two weeks to a month. You don't want your chickens catching anything.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    quarantine, quarantine, quarantine!!!!

then, if it the same size as your chickens, give it a whirl, but supervise.

and did it walk across the road or Cross the road???[​IMG]

why did the chicken cross the road? because it wanted to visit at mahsmaj's house!

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Is there any chance it is someones pet? My chickens free range all over, but I have no neighbors to pick them up and take them home. I would have left it be. You never know what diseases it will bring to your flock. Good Luck

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    She looks like she'll do just fine after some adjustment. Do keep her quarantined from your flock for at least 3 weeks, to be sure she doesn't have any kind of sickness that would infect your flock. Just keep her in a pen separate from your birds and then after the three weeks you can introduce her to the rest of your flock. [​IMG] She looks to be a leghorn, they lay white eggs.

6. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    No one on the road has any chickens at all... and I think it may be a hen. Does anyone know what breed it is??? Weve already asked around.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She looks like a leghorn. I would also check your neighbors there and see if they are missing a bird. Leghorns can be flighty and will fly over fences no problem. The ones I have routenly fly into the fenced in garden. [​IMG]

8. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    It looks an awful lot like a rooster.

Is it real flighty? Could it be a leghorn?

9. Banty Rooster

Banty Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Cullman, Al.
    it looks like a white old english game
    Quote:

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Looks like a white leghorn hen. I'd keep her quarantined for a couple of weeks, then if she's still looking good...put her with your others...at night...when they can't see anything anyway!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by