I found a chicken!!!!!... WHAT DO I DO WITH IT??? ~(PICS)~

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mahsmaj, Aug 18, 2008.

1. If she is a he, someone may have dumped him?

2. no, i think its a white leghorn hen. ive had them before, they are supposed to have a really big comb like that.

3. Really, that's a hen? Those look like big wattles for a hen. But then, i've never had one nor seen one in person.

4. mangled

mangled Songster

She has the exact build of my leghorns, and I would say hen as well, my hens are only 5 or 6 months old and they have HUGE combs. They're large enough that they lean over.

She's pretty. If she's healthy, and you can keep her at your friend's house for a few weeks to make *sure* she's well, I'd go for it.

Leghorns are amazing fliers. My hens are clipped now, but before clipping, they could fly straight up off the ground in the run to a tree limb about 15 feet high.

Good Luck!
    Em

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    She's definately a leghorn hen....I have quite a few of them, and their combs get huge! My hens just started laying, and their combs are so large they hang over their eye on one side. I have a little leghorn roo, and he started getting his comb at three weeks. Right now it's enormous! It was really cute at three weeks, he had a perfect little red comb and a tiny fuzzy/feathered body....LOL!!! If there's no one around who could own the hen (there's gotta be somebody, that chicken had to come from somewhere) go ahead and quarantine then see if you can get her integrated into your flock. Just keep her separate for a good month or two!!!! Make sure you ask around, cause it would suck for someone to have lost their little hen....

P.S. Could be a very young roo....it all depends on how old the chicken is....a laying age hen will have a huge comb, so about 4.5 to 5 months she could definately be a hen. Check the placement of her 'hip' bones and see if they've spread. If so she's a laying hen. If it's a roo, it would only be about 2-3 months with a comb that size, IMO. Any visible saddle feathers??? Can't tell from the pic...Otherwise I would DEFINATELY say you found a hen!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I would say White Leghorn hen. I just sold off all my leghorn roos, and by they time they had red combs, they also had long tail feathers. Golly they could fly, the brutes!

7. fushalilly

fushalilly Songster

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    poor little guy! Mabye he would find his way back if you put him where you found him, mabye not. I hope he works out with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: