I found a mouse in my coup?

I had a big production red named Jaws who used to wait by my side for me to wiggle the nestboxes for mice to scurry out from and then pounce on them and eat them!
ep.gif
Believe me, the first time I saw this I was freaked out!! She and my cat Screamer used to keep the place free of rodents!
thumbsup.gif

They are definitely attracted to the feed. My advice would be:

FIRST: set some traps with cheese (humane of course
smile.png
) and getting them far away from your neighbourhood. Put the traps out in the evening time once the chickens are away for the night and remove the traps in the am when you release the chickens.
Then it come down to PREVENTION:
1. store less within the coop and simply fill more often (only what they consume in one day in feeder).
2. keep the coop clean and any food that might spill to the bottom should be removed.
3. be sure you keep the food bags indoors or in air tight containers.
4. Planting mint around the coop; mice hate the smell of mint. Mint can grow quite aggressively but you can trench so it doesn't take over the run or simply pull i tout as it spreads.

The Chickens will definitely eat the mouse if they catch it. Mice are definitely full of disease so I would want to rid the coop of the mice asap since we don't really want our chickens eating mice... do we??
hmm.png
YUCK!

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom