I found a wild duckling

NovaChooks

Chirping
Jun 24, 2019
IMG_20200530_165901.jpg

I found this little guy being attacked by crows. Three of them. Picking it into the air and dropping it again, baby duck would run for all it was worth and they would just keep catching it and repeating the process. I ran over and grabbed the baby before they could kill it.
I watched for mama duck or any other siblings for the next 5 hours until dark but nothing to be seen or heard.

I feel terrible for this baby, its obviously scared and wants its mama but i cant find her. I have him in with my new chicks in the brooder with heat, food and water.
Is it possible to raise a wild duckling with chicks?
Will he eventually bond with us/the chicks and be happy or will he be scared forever because he was hatched by mother duck?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. We've had chickens for a while now but never ducks.

Wow so amazing you saved that little one. Possibly a wood duckling and they are hard to get to eat, Best would be to contact local wild life authorities and ask for a rehabber in your area. That way this little on has the best chance at survival and being released back into the wild

Wow so amazing you saved that little one. Possibly a wood duckling and they are hard to get to eat, Best would be to contact local wild life authorities and ask for a rehabber in your area. That way this little on has the best chance at survival and being released back into the wild

We only have mallard ducks here, at least for the vast majority. Ive never seen a wood duck (i had to google it). They may be just as hard to get to eat though. He hasnt eaten or drank anything yet. Has been cuddling with the chicks but is still scared of us.

I got him to drink a little bit and eat a tiny bit of chick starter. Held him in my lap and put a little container of water up to his bill. He dunked it in and started making that little duck chatter they do when you throw bread in the water. So i sprinkled some chick starter on top and he munched a tiny bit.

Tiny duck seems to be getting more comfortable with us now. Able to pick him up and he laid calmy in my hand and didnt panic. Still encouraging water and food as much as i can and my daughter gave a small piece of bread as a treat that she says he nibbled at.
IMG_20200531_170645.jpg

Back
Top Bottom