I found one of my hens dead in the run yesterday evening.

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
She was fine yesterday morning when I went down to feed and water. She was eating and being her friendly self. After I did all my usual morning tiding up the coops and runs. I lock them in and went to do some yard work. I went down at 6 that evening to let them do some free ranging. I thought it was odd they were not at the door waiting for me.instead her three sisters were gather around her. She must have died soon after I lock up as rigor mortise had already set in.I pick her up and my husband and I check her over no puncture wounds her vent area was clean. She was one of my favorite hens she was 16 months old. Isa Brown Their run area is very secure so I was not worried about any predator causing her death.My thoughts was a heart attack. I noticed back in the winter months that she would be walking and come to a stop. She would lift her wings and pant as if she was hot. I have spent a sleepless night crying over her loss. And wondering what really happen to her. This morning I did kill a black snake. within 5 feet were I found her. He was in a small tree that I planted in the run years ago.I heard a bird screaming and the black snake and bird fell from the tree in a ball. The snake was wrapped around that bird squeezing it to death. I ran a got a hoe and took care of that snake. The little bird flew away. Now I am wondering if that snake could have choked her to death.

She was laying face down with her head twisted to the side. And yes her legs were stretched out behind her. Her face and comb and wattle was blue.
Thank you for responding.
its been a very emotional day for me.

I lost a chicken this morning and it was a very similar circumstance to yours. We definitely don't have nay snakes around though. and she was secure in her coop when we found her. I'm devastated, she was one of my favorite hens. I am so sorry for your loss, I am with you on this one
hit.gif

Thank you. And same to you. I know with raising them, we are going to lose them. But its so heartbreaking Over the years we had to put some down due to egg binding. Its a shocker to leave them happily eating and clucking. And find her like this..

Thank you. And same to you. I know with raising them, we are going to lose them. But its so heartbreaking Over the years we had to put some down due to egg binding. Its a shocker to leave them happily eating and clucking. And find her like this..
Yep....All the time spent and getting to know their quirky ways,does make it hard to lose one....
Your welcome and all we can do is enjoy the living.....

I lost my little hen this spring to a heart attack when the tarp blew off my coop and scared her too death....

Sounds like I thought...? A heart attack...

Sad to lose them....

Cheers!
Interesting you say that. 3 days ago I was attempting to secure a tarp on the side of the run while the chickens were in it.
They were so panicked, I thought one was gonna keel over and die. So I waited a day for them to calm down and let them free range before doing it.
They were acting like right little chickens lol

Back
Top Bottom