I found this amusing

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by jgconnor, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jgconnor

jgconnor Out Of The Brooder

Just for kicks and giggles, I looked up the town I'm in for the ordinances. It's not even listed!!

I love livin' in "Smalltown", Va.

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    And it must be small! You are absolutely free to become a completely addicted victim of chicken math! Have at it!

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Freedom!!!! [​IMG]

4. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Be careful.

My small town is not listed either but my town does have an ordinance. It took me LOTS of hunting to find it but it was there at the town office. I am ok, but I was glad I found it.

The funny thing is that the ordinance is written having used the local state university cooperative extension guidelines, but no one knew what they meant. So the ordinance is not well written and left for interpretation.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  5. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

7 acres? I'd say you have enough buffer zone not to worry about ordinances anyway....lol. I think we all should be allowed to have chickens as much as we are allowed dogs...

6. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Doncha love it? [​IMG]
    I live in a small CITY and there are no ordinances for livestock here, either! I've had goats, geese, ducks, chickens and turkeys on my 60' x 115' property with no troubles. As long as I keep things clean, healthy and not too noisy. The animal control officer sends me an e-mail once a year to find out what I have, but he doesn't even bother to come do inspection anymore. Maybe I'll get a miniature horse!

But we have to stay vigilent and speak out if any issues come up that would threaten our ability to keep our animals/birds. I try to be a good ambassador for poultry and livestock-keeping in our city, and I'm blessed to have some fantastic neighbors who stick up for me and my critters.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Cool! But, like someone said, be extra careful. Also, check your county laws, too, and ask your neighbors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by