I gambled. Looking a lot like I won.

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I hatched out a small brood of chicks on Easter Sunday. When they outgrew the brooder tub, I moved them into a small coop with some Silkie chicks who were just a couple of weeks older than the Easter chicks. I always knew this arrangement would be temporary as the Easter chicks are all standard large breed chickens and would need to move to my main coop at some point. I know you are supposed to introduce new chickens slowly. The whole "see but don't touch" approach only I didn't have the time or space to do that this time around so I gambled. On Sunday night, I moved all 7 of the Easter chicks into the main coop with my adult chickens. Then I prayed that I wouldn't walk out on Monday morning to feed and find 7 massacred chicks dead in the coop. Needless to say, everyone is still alive and even fully feathered. There was a point when the youngest of my chickens (a little hen who was born in early February) was bullying the group but the rest of my flock have completely ignored the new chicks. Last night as the sun went down, all the chicks were literally the last ones in the coop, but they all still went inside! :celebrateI count that as a WIN in my book!

That is a good feeling! When introducing chicks - more is better. But just curious, have you introduced chicks to this flock before? I found that the more I introduced chicks, the easier it was. A flock that one year had a broody and chicks, and 6 months later, I got some chicks, and 6 months after that, I added again... hardly batted an eyelash.

I do have good hideouts, and escapes for chicks in my set up, but I really think it is because I did it so often with that group.

Mrs K

Yes, I introduced about 20 chicks last fall and then 2 new chicks in early April. I went out to check on them this evening to find several of the chicks cuddled up to two broody hens who are sitting on their clutches. Both broodies were from the chicks I introduced last fall. They all looked so cute huddled together although I'm not sure the broodies would have allowed it in the daytime.

We've got a pair of half-grown babies to put in with the big girls eventually. They run around the yard together, and we had 6 originally. One flew into the neighbor's yard and didn't make it back out, so they all got wings clipped. Then, the rooster started to crow. He is MAYBE 3 months old! Less than half sized. So, he and two of the pullets went to a new home and the other two (the friendliest) stayed here.
They're pretty upset to lose their siblings, so I may be moving them in to overnight with the big girls or the ducklings soon. I'd intended to keep them all another month or two, expecting any crowing to begin at 5 months. Oops :p
But they're so cute :D And three of the four ducklings will have to leave soon, too...as soon as I can positively pick out a girl!
I have high hopes after reading these posts. We add at least one new hen each year, usually two or three. We added a white hen about 4 weeks ago, and she settled right in with no problems at all. The three pullets before her were running with the big girls, no problems, until they got eaten :( Hoping these girls are fine, and way less worried about putting them in the coop when they're just half-grown!

We've got a pair of half-grown babies to put in with the big girls eventually. They run around the yard together, and we had 6 originally. One flew into the neighbor's yard and didn't make it back out, so they all got wings clipped. Then, the rooster started to crow. He is MAYBE 3 months old! Less than half sized. So, he and two of the pullets went to a new home and the other two (the friendliest) stayed here.
They're pretty upset to lose their siblings, so I may be moving them in to overnight with the big girls or the ducklings soon. I'd intended to keep them all another month or two, expecting any crowing to begin at 5 months. Oops :p
But they're so cute :D And three of the four ducklings will have to leave soon, too...as soon as I can positively pick out a girl!
I have high hopes after reading these posts. We add at least one new hen each year, usually two or three. We added a white hen about 4 weeks ago, and she settled right in with no problems at all. The three pullets before her were running with the big girls, no problems, until they got eaten :( Hoping these girls are fine, and way less worried about putting them in the coop when they're just half-grown!

The youngins I introduced are still doing well. They all pretty much stay together and are usually the last ones to go in the coop at night but they have started to roost among the adults. They are put in their place at meal time if they get in the way but they are generally treated well or just ignored. The key point is that no one attacks them which is what I was worried about.

I have 3 roosters in the group and, like you, I'm not likely to keep them. They will either be rehomed or butchered but at least 1 is already crowing....

Back
Top Bottom