I gave my chickens today...........................................

I gave my chickens an apple. I put it on the THING ON THE STRING. I saw the THING ON A STRING on someones post. I made mine out of a clothes line wire and an eye hook. They love it.....Last week they got green bean plants. They ate a fifty-five gallon bag full in three days. I try to let my chicken out in the evenings but some times they can't. I try to spoil my hens. Happy hens lay better.
D.gif

Your hens are beautiful! I will have to do the apple thing! I have a grand baby that only eats part of an apple and I don't like the rest to go to waste so hopefully I can figure out a way that they can enjoy the left overs! I think my hens favorite is stale bread with milk over top. But they certainly go for the outdated spring salad mix as well!

Do you put the shells in with the feed?

I bake my shells when I have something else in the oven. Then crush with a rolling pin. Mine absolutely love the ground shells.... even when cooked till browned. I put it out just like free choice next to the free choice grit/calcium feeder.

I try to do treats that are natural and good for them but not too much.... I want them to free range for most of their protein. During molt they do get more protein items but normally as an animal protein...I only put garlic and herbs on my meat, no salt. And yes they love Venison and chicken liver and thin steak slices when it is given to me. Can't afford it myself but I share mine with them.

But they have to eat their ff first. (Mix of on going grains soaked in water with a little organic apple cider from my trees)

During fall they have free choice fallen apples too... especially the bits the deer leave behind.

Last edited:
Is adding worms the secret to table scraps? My teenage Chickens ignore table scraps - they only want to eat their feed. Especially my sweet scissor beak girl, who is starting to fall behind in the size/weight department.
They certainly won't touch a veggie. lol Typical teen!!!!

Back
Top Bottom