I gave my quail CPR!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Crest Acres Girl, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Crest Acres Girl

Crest Acres Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    I went to go check up on the 3 day old quails today and saw one of them with its head dipped in the water dish not moving and I thought to myself OH NO IT DROWNED!!!!!! (its a very shallow water dish, no idea how in the world it was drowning in that)

So I immediately picked it up and to my surprise it was still alive!!!! The poor little quail chick kept opening and closing its mouth and its eyes was half open, and the legs was straight and it was going limp... it looked like it was suffering. I panicked so I sucked on its little beak trying to get some water out...with the thought of culling it in my head. Then I did chest compressions and blew in its little beak, turned it upside down, stretched its neck and trembled my hands to stimulate shaking and when I turned it around to blow in its beak again... it stood up and ran off my hand LOL!! omg I cant believe I just did CPR on a little quail . Thank goodness, its okay now [​IMG]

2. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    OMG Im glad he is ok, and he better be glad he had you not me I dont think I would of thought of cpr on a bird. good job [​IMG]

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] Thank goodness you was there. Good job. Lucky little Quail.

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Good Job. What a good chicken mamma!! What animals lovers will do to save their "babies"! [​IMG]

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Good for you!

I did it to a baby Silkie in my last batch, about 3 weeks ago!

You got to do what you got to do!

6. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Yeah! Way to go......who would think!!! Congrats on a job well done.

7. Crest Acres Girl

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    It was kinda scary lol, for a moment I thought I crushed it's ribs..cuz it passed out halfway

8. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    LOL Im so sorry I had to laugh, I can imagine a giant mouth blowing into a little quail beak and doing chest compressions with a finger. [​IMG] [​IMG] but anyways, good job![​IMG]

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Lol! I cant believe you did that. How does quail taste?

10. Crest Acres Girl

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    not as gamey as I thought it would be, would have been better If i had some salt [​IMG] The little quail hair is irritating my throat, if you want to try though...pluck first!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by