1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

)*(@&#*()& I GIVE UP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Badhbh, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Stupid second batch of stupid Seramas aren't hatching! ARGH! That's 16 eggs, not a one has hatched.
    I'm very unreasonable right now. [​IMG]
    It's not like I don't know what i'm doing- i've had great hatches in the past. These bloody little buggers just won't do it though.

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry! [​IMG]

I know that frustration all too well!

Maybe they just weren't strong enough to survive....[​IMG]

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry, that sucketh mightily.

What temp/humidity did you use?

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Jeesh!! Thats terrible! Are they harder to hatch than others!??? AND...WELCOME BACK! WHERE THE HECK YOU BEEN??

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Those are very hard to hatch. It is no fun when you put so many hopes into a bator and get nothing. I had plenty of 0 hatches to get the bbs orps I have. I feel your pain.

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Hope you do better in the future. After hearing how hard some breeds are to hatch in a bator, I wait until I have a good broody hen and place the eggs under her. Yes, I know it is not the same, but the hatch rate is better. Cheating may not be good for your love life, but with chickens anything is good if it works.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I second the broody. Someone gave me some older serama eggs and I put four under a broody and one hatched. I gave it away.

8. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:102*-103* in a still air. Around 40% humidity until this week, and I bumped it up to 55-60.
    I opened all the eggs. One died early on, but the rest were full term. One had even started absorbing the yolk. ONE was still moving, so we put it back in the bator with a wet paper towel over the hole. Lets hope that one makes it [​IMG]

And yeah, i'm going broody from now on [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  9. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:Apparently they are. They have a lethal gene I think. Two batches. Two stinking batches, and two months. Grr!
    I've been fine, just busy [​IMG] We have CRD, and i've been fighting that off. Guess i'm a closed flock now. [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:This may be your problem. In a still air it should be 101.5 at the tops of the eggs.

103 for extended periods hurries the development along and often can make the chicks die at full term.

If you have the budget for it ask Santa for a hovabator 1588.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by