Am I unlucky, or is this normal?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
Just picked up hatching eggs from the P. O. I've never hatched shipped eggs, like, ever.
They came from GA, I'm in FL.
18 eggs to be specific.
Eggs were all individually wrapped in bubble wrap and in the middle of a bunch of shredded newspaper- They held pretty well.
The breeder has a lot of experience in shipping, and people way farther than I am had great hatch rates from what I researched.
17062999030436725245962385580654.jpg

The eggs all look fine, except every single one of them have detached air cells and look scrambled when I candle.
Is it normal for 18 eggs to all be like this? 😭
I was told to let them sit for at least 24 hours before setting, and when I do- Don't turn for the first 3-5 days.
Will that really fix the air pockets? What does it do-?
These are the eggs- (They're cochin bantams)
17063002233684616132055316165266.jpg

I only hatched shipped eggs one time. But they arrived individually wrapped in a carton. I would never ship eggs like that. I can't remember if I let the eggs sit for 12 or 24 hours before incubating. I did regular turning for the hatch. I usually hatch my own eggs so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can step in.

I only hatched shipped eggs one time. But they arrived individually wrapped in a carton. I would never ship eggs like that. I can't remember if I let the eggs sit for 12 or 24 hours before incubating. I did regular turning for the hatch. I usually hatch my own eggs so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can step in.
I usually hatch my own- if not its someone local or within a 2 hour drive distance.
I've never been comfortable with it, not even with live chicks for this very reason. (I worry I'll spend a whole bunch of money and none of the eggs hatch- Hint why I ordered 18 instead of 12. I thought I'd get a better chance of hatching something.)
Though I finally got convinced.

Back
Top Bottom