1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I got a bounty on the head of a predator…

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BlakesFarm, Mar 3, 2012.

1. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    I have, did have 3 hens (one rooster) and 3 guineas. Now I have 1 hen, 1 rooster, and 3 guineas. They are free range 24/7 and I haven’t had any real problems before, a close call with a hawk once.
    But anyway today I want to check on the birds and collect eggs and the first thing I see is one of my best layers dead on the ground (in the run), it looked like it had been tossed around, no bite marks or nothing just missing a few feathers near the gullet, and its left leg is out of socket.
    So then I ring the bell and all the birds come running up from the field and I notice that my rooster is missing all of his tail feathers and that there was only one hen and I look around and notice that there are a few guinea feathers in the corner of the run. I fed them some millet and corn got up and looked for the other bird, and I found it laying about 9ft from the coop next to the tree, dead. In the same condition as the other bird, it looked like it had been tossed around missing a few feathers and that’s it.
    There weren’t any tracks (we had a huge rain storm last night) and I think it attacked some time during the night. One dead hen (the one sittin dead by the tree base) had some ants on it, 2 eggs were in the coop and there were a few feathers in the coop (it didn’t look like much action happened in there). We normally get 2-3 eggs in a day, and I didn’t collect eggs yesterday, so it had to of happen during the night.
    At first I thought it was a coon, but there are no bite marks or nothing, just it looked like joy kills. Something like what dogs would do. And lately there has been a white pit roaming the streets. What do u think it could be? We are going to put a game cam by the coop and see if it comes back. But im betting that its a dog.
    The birds will only be free range now when I am home now, and the guns will be ready. If it turns out that it’s a dog I’ll have to get some pics of it trying to get in the coop first. I guess I’ll go ahead and dig a hole for whatever it is. What do you think I should do? What do you think could of killed my 2 hens?

& wow this fourm has changed so much, its been a wile since ive been on. Glad to be back! and this means more baby chicks this spring. : )

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It sounds a lot like a dog attack to me. However, I wouldn't automatically blame the stray pit-bull without seeing him making an attempt at the birds.

Whatever it was will be back soon.

3. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Exactley what i think, but i would hate to blame the pitt. Its just what came to mind first. And im sure what ever it is will be back too, I hope to catch what ever it is on the game camera first. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. darin367

darin367 Songster

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    get your cam out,,, it will be back........ i'm betting on a dog...

5. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    I caught a pit bull Friday, I was bush hogging and I saw the dog in the corner of the field. When I turned off the tractor It came up to me, It was well trained and very friendly. I was thinking of keeping it (If we didn’t already have 7 dogs), it was a pretty dog and didn’t have an interest in the birds, I have never seen the dog before and its never been caught on the game cam.
    I called the owner and they came and got the dog. I told them "that it would be best if they try to keep their dog penned up, out here I have free range animals and I don’t want anything to happen to your dog, I’ve lost a few chickens before and I have a game camera with pictures of dogs." I think I kind of scared him. He said that they had just adopted the dog 2 weeks ago and it is the second time it had gotten out and they said that they would be giving it away shortly.
    Its a pack of wild dogs that I’m after. they are all pit-bull mixes, they have no owner and are unfriendly. I have shot at them with the shotgun twice (in their direction, but not at them). The shot gun wont kill them at the distance in shooting from, I really need to do a steak out with a rifle. But I just don’t have the time to waste to do that. I haven’t seen the dogs since summer though.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  6. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Songster

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    did you ever catch what killed your birds?

7. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    No but im always on the look out.

8. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chirping

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    ok,get your cam out.then get your gun out.
    then wait on it to come back and take the predator down on cam.
    that way you can post the pics[​IMG]

9. Mac14

Mac14 Songster

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Ya, keep us posted, please.

10. seramachick8

seramachick8 In the Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    North Texas
    It sounds like a dog to me. We had a dog a few years back that got ahold of a few of our chickens and it looked like exactly what you described. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by