I got a friend for penny.... But they really hate each other!

alecia86

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
What do I do? I have had her home for 15 mins (I know I need to give it time)... But they have been trying to peck each other. I have them separated (the new one in the coop, the old one out). They keep squawking like crazy!! Any idea how long it will take for them to accept each other? Is there anything I can do to help? Should I keep one inside tonight (new or old?) or should I put both in the cage and let them fight it out?

This is really upsetting me :(

Put one in the cage in the coop for them to adjust to each other. Tomorrow let her out and see what happens, they will probably fuss but shouldn't be too bad. Separate them again if needed and try again the next day.

Are they both roosters? I like to put them together in the night on the same roost. That usually helps. Regardless they will fight a little to establish rank. This the old term pecking order.

I have the new chicken in the cage, and the old one is roaming around. They can see each other through the cage. I think the new one is actually just really really scared in general and that's probably not helping.

They are both hens :)

So do you think I should put them both in the little house together tonight? Or wait until tomorrow? The house is pretty small, so would be sleeping right next to each other.

We ended up separating them into the 2 sections of the coop because the old one just kept attacking the new one. The new one seems really scared of people and runs or growls if we go anywhere near her. :( that's probably normal and we just got a bit spoilt with penny, our lap chicken. Lol!!!

She has a much deeper voice too... I'm a bit scared she's a rooster... But she looks like a hen... I think...

We will let them get close today and see what happens and hopefully they will be alright by tomorrow! (Because I have to go to work and really don't want to leave one locked in the shower all day!)

Do you think they could kill each other while I'm at work? (10 hours)

Chickens are generally never welcoming to newcomers! They need a lot of time to get used to each other otherwise fights and injuries can occur quit easily. When I have a new bird/birds to integrate I fence off part of the run for them and they sleep in the coop in a wire dog crate. Everybody has lots of time to get used to seeing each other around and settle down before they actually share space. I usually do this for a week or two, there have been times it's taken longer. I've had hens seriously injured in the past so now I take it very slow.

I've tried putting new birds in the coop at night, it's never, ever worked for me. If you try it just make sure you are there bright and early before they get up so you can supervise in case things get out of hand.

Thanks guys. No idea what I will do tomorrow! The coop is too small to close an area off, or out a cage in. Eek.

(I have let them attack each other and they seem to have cooled it off a bit... The new one even came and sat on me (to get away from the old one though!) thankfully penny (old one) has a blunt beak, so doesn't do much damage)

Back
Top Bottom