I got a nigerian dwarf goat today!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the coyotes getting your goat! Just wanted to let you know that our experience has been that it's not only in the evenings that they're out roaming around. We've had packs of wild dogs and coyotes come through middle of the day. The dogs even pulled the front off our wire hutches to get bunnies--it was quite a mess. We've put either Great Pyrenees dogs or llamas in ALL of our pastures to keep the goats/sheep/calves safe at all times. It might be worth looking into if you've got room for a guard dog/llama since you already know that the coyotes are a problem.

Quote:
I have 6 ft chain link that goes around the perimeter of the property and have 4 ft woven wire fence that separates the pasture from the backyard.

Quote:
Ours is about 4 ft, we use the Red Brand Woven Wire that we get at Tractor Supply. You'll want it really close to the ground so that no dogs, etc. can get in the pasture (plan on filling in any low spots you have in the fence line).
If your goats will have horns, consider getting the styles that they can either completely stick their head through or not at all. We've had trouble with the style that the grid gets smaller closer to the bottom b/c they love to eat what's just on the other side of the fence and end up getting their heads "stuck". You can also run a line of electric on the inside to prevent that.
Either electric or barbed wire on the inside will also keep them from scratching/rubbing on the fence (which will stretch it).
We now use wooden posts for goates and corners (for bracing) and metal T-posts everywhere else.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Ours is about 4 ft, we use the Red Brand Woven Wire that we get at Tractor Supply. You'll want it really close to the ground so that no dogs, etc. can get in the pasture (plan on filling in any low spots you have in the fence line).
If your goats will have horns, consider getting the styles that they can either completely stick their head through or not at all. We've had trouble with the style that the grid gets smaller closer to the bottom b/c they love to eat what's just on the other side of the fence and end up getting their heads "stuck". You can also run a line of electric on the inside to prevent that.
Either electric or barbed wire on the inside will also keep them from scratching/rubbing on the fence (which will stretch it).
We now use wooden posts for goates and corners (for bracing) and metal T-posts everywhere else.

Hope that helps!

It does, thanks!

Hi I'm interested in buying a Nigerian dwarf goat, but not sure if the goat I'm looking at is really a Nigerian dwarf goat, does anyone out there have any idea?

Hi
I'm looking at purchasing a Nigerian dwarf goat, but I'm not sure the goat I'm looking at is a Nigerian dwarf goat, is there anyone out there who might know what breed this goat is?

Back
Top Bottom