i got an egg eater--

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by old geezer, Jul 6, 2011.

1. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG]...got an egg eater here---when i gathered egg just a few minutes ago----i saw the broken shell an some fluild in the bottom of the nest---when i took the eggs and shell out , dottie , one of my 2 delawares ran in and grabbed the shell out of my hand---this can not be a hunger thing --as they always have a filled feeder of good penfield layer crumbles , daily get some bread , lettuce ,or fruit,grass clipping and or bird seed --they eat pretty well-----so ---what causes egg eaters to start--- on stopping it--i have read numerous times on BYC that stopping is almost always impossible ,and either culling or placeing the bird alone in isolation is the only option---any imput , thoughts or help in going to be greately appreciated---what do i do???????? help

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I would use a roll away nest or collect the eggs constantly. Some people use gold balls or wooden eggs.

3. Gingerlilypad

Gingerlilypad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I had a hen that started breaking and eating eggs. She tasted real good fried with mashed potatoes gravy and corn on the cob. Problem solved.

4. DesertChickLover

DesertChickLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    [​IMG]

What I do with my egg eaters is try and check the nests every once in a while. Also, I have a white toy egg in each nesting box, which seems to confuse my chickies.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
  6. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I have read that if you blow out one of your eggs and fill it with yellow mustard (chickens hate mustard) and put it in the nest box your egg eater will get a beak full of mustard [​IMG] and never eat another egg again, it's worth a try:D

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Cool idea....

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Maybe you don't have an egg eater...maybe the egg was accidently broken when layed or stepped on or defective somehow and it attracted their attention...chickens will gobble up broken eggs or peck at a defect or imperfection. If I drop an egg and it breaks they'll run over to try to eat it. If I reach for something other than an intact egg they figure I've found food or am pointing out food, and the fastest, most alert one is there on it even before I can grab up whatever it is...even a wisp a paper, lol.

9. Haazegirl

Haazegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Southern Minnesota
    We have an egg eater too and it's getting out of hand. I will have to put our fake eggs back in to confuse them, and maybe the mustard trick. I have heard of that before on here, it's just going to be hilarious. First of all my son LOVES mustard, and might get jealous of the hens getting so much. Then imagine the surprised chicken who gets ahold of that treat!

I wish we could pinpoint who was doing it, but with 20 hens it's pretty hard to tell who does what. Especially in this weather. They seem to only dine on eggs when nobody is watching.

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I've only had one egg eater, she became supper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by