I got eggs! Well, not the way I planned......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sueceeq, Aug 9, 2013.

1. sueceeq

sueceeq New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    I have 6 girls, 4 of which are Isa Browns. I prepared their nesting boxes a couple of weeks ago, knowing that they could start laying soon. The girls are allowed to free range during the day, and their door opens automatically at 7 am. Today as I walked outside to go for a walk I heard some gentle cooing coming from the bushes next to the house. Upon investigation I discovered one of the girls sitting on a homemade nest and 10 eggs!!! I was shocked and elated lol. My plan is to shut the pen door tonight so they can't free range. Hopefully tomorrow morning she will use the nesting box I have prepared. My question is this. I have a couple of golf balls in the nests but can I put one or two of the real eggs in the nest to encourage her to go in there? Would that be better than the golf balls? I also don't know if the eggs are from one of the girls or several. It seemed to me that they were all waiting in line for their turn. Crazy birds! I love them and I HAVE EGGS! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Golf balls have always worked just as well as real eggs for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by