I got Goats!! **Updated with pics!!**

silverfilly

Peepin N' Cheepin
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Kansas
I went to check out the auction this morning on my way home from work, I really just wanted to see what the horses were going for. Well After the horses went through they started the goats. Now I have been wanting some dairy goats and want some nigierin dwarfs and I also love the La manchas, and guess what went through, a Mini mancha!! Well My neighbor was there buying hay so I asked them to bid, I got her for 30$!! Then since I dont have goats I knew I would at least have to get her a freind and ended up wining the stockyest little boar/pygmie looking cross that looks pregnant. So home they came and we had to construct a pen really quick. they are in a pen conected to the barn that is made from chainlink dog pen panels 6ft high. Now I need lots of advise here, I was going to be geting some nigerians anyway from a fellow BYCer ( if your reading this I never got anypics yet) so I will have I think a nice start for my little dairy herd.

Anyway I will get pics tomorrow, in the meantime does anyone have any advise for a newbie to goats?

Last edited:
LOL Congrats and just search this site for goat information, there are tons of posts with great advice.

First things first, get them some ProBios ASAP, and get started on deworming them. Again, a search here should give you some good deworming advice.

Don't change their diet too fast. Since you likely have no iead what they've been eating, start with hay and introduce your grain ration very slowly.

Looking forward to pics!

Thanks for that advise, Ill stop by the farm store Mon morning, they are closed Sundays. the mini Mancha is a little thin not to bad but her hooves are in need of a trim, I need to find a good site about triming them. Ill search BYC first..Thanks

PS: Is this a good excuse to get me a llama now
lol.png

My first thought when I read the title of your post was, "There is a cure for that, but its really long, drawn out, and expensive.", and as the proud but weary co-owner of 8 loveable knuckelheads, I can tell you that do not go cheap on the fence, because the goats will not go cheap on the effort to get out of it. I have 2 pure Boer does that are more like heavy Jack Russells with really sharp feet, a Swiss/Toggenburg milker that has a permanent case of PMS, and unfortunately 1 very sharp horn that her previous owner botched up when he tried to de-horn her, and 5 mutts that are the grounds crew at my partners place, and every, single, one of them has a distinct and unique personality, and they are fun to have around, but they are a lot of work and worry as well as a lot of fun and entertainment. I can tell you that if you have a new vehicle, and you value its paint job, then make REAL sure that fence is good, my goats found the mirrors on my Expedition irrestible to look in, so they raised up on the drivers side door and the passengers side door, over and over again...
barnie.gif
, I dont really mind because my truck is older, but I have seen people cry when they have come out of their house and found their goat herd on the hood of their new camaro, my mom is a good example, she found out that 6 goats will fit on the hood of a z28!

Hey Glad to hear you found some and I am sorry I have had the Grandkids out this weekend. I will get pictures today I hope. If I were you I would worm them first and give CD/t shots. Who knows when they were done last.
I love my LM also and cant wait till she kids. I agree with Kate and only feed hay and maybe alfalfa pellets to start with especially sine the little one looks Pg. She will need it. Goats need at least 3 lbs alfalfa pellets a day when Prego. I also give more when milking some dont.
Good luck with your new babies ...

Its Ok Chatychick, Im in no real hurry. I need to reinforce the rest of my dog panels to make them more goat proof anyway. Ill be working on that this week.

Are the alfalfa cubes as good as the pellets?
As thats what I have and I hav e them eating prairy hay. and I gave them each a small handfull of corn. I have a bag of oats too would that be good for them? I can pick up some goat chow tomorrow when I get the dewormer and shots.

It there any all purpose food I can buy to feed horses, chickens, and goats, I highly dought it but its worth a shot..lol.

Can you say GOATPROOF??? And I mean everything....We have 2 pygmies in the chickenyard with our chickens, and everything we have to do has to be goatproof. Love them, but if I didn't ,they'd be outta here!! But they are so much fun to have around, I don't think I could ever get rid of them. Or could I?????????????lol

Paula

Oh, and about the feed...I have bought Goat Chow and other goat feed in the past, but they always end up eating whatever I feed the horses and chickens. So I don't bother buying the goat feed anymore.

Paula

Back
Top Bottom