I got my bator today!!!!! Now a question....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mourningdove, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    My Hova Bator came in today and now I am almost ready for the next step!!!!! I have it plugged in and trying to get the heat up, now how long does it normally take to get up to the 100 degrees? Is the red light supposed to stay on or does it come on & off? Please forgive the questions as it's been over 15 years since I have done this so I need help like a newbie! I know I am suppose to leave it plugged in over 24 hours at least. I just plugged it in about an hour and a half ago.

2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yup, the light will come on and off. It won't take long for the temp to come up but the humidity might take a while [​IMG] You won't regret it...they're great little bators! [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Always best to leave it plugged in for acouple days to make sure it will maintain the correct temps and humidity. Yes, the light goes off and on. Remember that once you set your eggs in the bator it will take it hours or a day to come back up to the correct temp and humidity.

4. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Thanks for the replies and help, I just wanted to be sure I do it right.
    Right now the temp is at 105 and I am not going to bed til I know it's at 100...tomorrow I plan on going to the feed store and see if they have something I can buy for the humidity, I haven't gotten that yet.
    Wish me luck and I will let you know when the eggs go in and will need the prayer vibes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by