I got my first button quail egg last night !!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Crazy4Chicks, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have been noticing both my male buttons have been actively breeding and doing thier little "turkey strut " for the the ladies - so I knew eggs were a coming soon !!

I cleaned thier tote yesterday and took a look in thier house no eggs- ok no big deal well last night I noticed one of my females was running around the tote like crazy and saw my male poking at something -- so took a closer look and saw an EGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was still warm not really sure which female laid it LOL

right now I have 12 6 adults and 6 teenagers ~ I have 2 males in the adults and not sure what I have the other set of 6 LOL

so here is my first " homelaid" egg

[​IMG]

here are just a few of my adults
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

now I am just waiting to see if I get any more soon - If I get at least one or 2 more I am going to set them in the bator and see if they are fertile -- if it takes too long to get an egg I am going to blow out the yolk and save this egg - and dream of the all the eggs that will coming soon LOL

2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Yay! Hooray for you. I have a friend who is going to give me some button quail eggs to incubate. I'll be watching your thread closely.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats on the egg [​IMG]

i am waiting on my button hens to lay there first egg... they are 8 weeks old now and still no eggs [​IMG]

4. kaya's farm

kaya's farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    WOW BUTTON QUAILS START LAYING YOUNG!!!! cANT WAIT TO SEE SOME BABIES HATCH

5. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    Aww I want button quails again my old ones were old and died... [​IMG]

6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    yesterday I got egg number 2 -- this one is alittle darker ~ I have it resting with the other one I will give them about 2--3 more days to see if I get a few more eggs than I am going to set what I have and check fertilty - if they are fertile and a few more of my hens start laying I will be sending out "test" eggs to anyone who wants to test the fertility of the eggs after the are shipped - all you have to do is pay the postage.

My 6 adults were hatched on -- July-15 and my lighter colored younger 6 were hatched on Aug-6 so I am hoping to be able to tell which ones in the younger group are males - and hopefully get some more in there laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by