1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got my First egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi,

Finally today one of my 5 rhode island reds laid an egg. It was on the floor of the coop not in the nesting box which is a bit annoying as we spent lots of time doing the nesting boxes. Great christmas present. Do you know how they would lay in the nesting box. There are 2 nesting boxes and they have golf balls in.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Congratulation!! That must be so exciting.

I have 8 9-week old RIRs, so I have a long wait before I get that first egg.

How old are your chickies?

3. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    they are 28 weeeks old. I didn't think they were going to lay. We were about to post our last christmas cards and i went to the chicken coop and saw it in the corner

4. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Merry Chirstmas!!!

Post a picture!

I have 3 boxes but all lay in one. Sometimes we have up to 3 hens jammed into the one box. The only time they laid outside of the box was when one hen was taking her time and I guess the other two couldn't wait & they laid them just outside the box.

Do your hens go in and out of the nest boxes? I know mine were going in and out for weeks before they laid. I also put just a little BOSS by the box and kept the golf ball in the box.

Good luck!

5. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Congrats! I'm with you on this one. Just went out to feed the girls before I left town for a few days. I found my first egg on the poop board. Yahoo! Couldn't ask for a better xmas present. But I lost the bet with my friend. I said Thanksgiving & he said Xmas. Oh well, it was worth the wait.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

6. NatureLove11

NatureLove11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    Congrats to you! Got my first egg saturday! Just wait till you get more than 1 [​IMG] its even better

7. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    When my RIR's first started to lay their first couple eggs were on the floor too.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    When the others start laying the one that laid it on the floor should figure it out. Don't worry about it right now. [​IMG] Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by