I got my first Eggs! now I got a question

DaveD

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I just found 2 eggs today - my first ones! I think they came from the same girl. I have 6 and I was giving them grower food, but they have hardly made a dent in the bag - they have afternoons out in the yard, so I have a ton left. Am I supposed to switch to layer food now? Or since they have plenty of yard time does it not really matter so much? I know I should start putting the oyster shells out. Anything else I need to start doing? Besides finishing the nest boxes
smile.png

-David
2BR, 2EE, 2SS

Last edited:
Hi Dave-

I think it'll be fine to use up that bag of food. I would definitely buy the layer food next time. You're right on about the oyster shell.

Congrats on your first eggs!

Sharon

I'd keep the grower going until the rest catch up, then if you still have grower left mix the layer in with it. Giving oyster shells on the side will make up for the lack of calcium in the grower.

I thought only the baby chick food came as medicated - but I know this isn't.
Thank you folks for the recommendations. I am so excited to think that I'm gonna be eating my own eggs. Heck, I might even try to finish the coop one of these days.
smile.png
It's usable, just not done

-David

Congrats on getting your first eggs
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
... we got our first egg two weeks ago and still do the chicken dance we find one
wee.gif
I'm going to buy oyster shells today
lol.png
Does anyone know how much I should get (I have six red sexlinks)
hu.gif
... do I mix it with food or does it go on the ground to be pecked? Thanks
frow.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom