I got my new chicks today and one isn't doing well......help

tucsonchickens

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
How exciting I got the phone call from the post office this morning to come pick
up my package that was peeping. All 8 of the chicks (I got them from MPC) made the trip and are alive.
3 buff orpingtons, 1 delaware, 3 assorted silkies and 1 silver laced wyandotte.

All the chicks are no in the brooder eating, drinking and walking around looking
healthy, except the silver laced wyandotte. When I took her out of the box I
dipped her beak in the water and made sure she got a drink. I checked her little
bottom and no pasty butt. She was standing originally but seemed really
unsteady.

I just went to check on them and she was laying on the floor of the
brooder. Some of the other chicks were walking over her so I moved her so that
the other chicks wouldn't be on top of her and put a little food on the floor by
her, which she did eat some of. She isn't looking healthy like the other chicks and
I'm just wondering what else I can do to help her.

Try adding some electrolytes in the water if you have some. If not, add a bit of sugar to the water. It could be shipping stress. You need to keep an eye on the little one and may need to separate her from the others. You could also try adding PolyViSol without iron to the water as well. Also, boil an egg and mash it up for her.
Good luck to you!

I had 2 babies arrive here that could not stand up...They were cold and very weak...I stuffed both of them down my shirt to warm them up...Once I felt they were warmed up I used a small syringe (no needle) and slowly gave them some warm water with electrolytes and sugar...15 mins after giving them the fluids I could not tell which ones they were...BAck on their feet and acting perfectly normal!

Good luck with you babies!

~Laura

I had one that was disoriented and wobbly on arrival too - I dipped her beak several times to make sure she got some fluids. I also had some stuff called GroGel that had vitamins and things in it - a pwder you mix with water that swells up into little moist globs of stuff. After some water and putting her near the grogel so she coudl peck at it she started to perk up - by the end of the day she was fine.

I hope the water and electrolytes work and she perks up

Thanks for all the great help. I added sugar to the water and watched the little girl carefully yesterday, periodically dipping her beak into the sugar water so I was sure she was getting some. Today she is doing much better and you can't even tell there was ever a problem.

Back
Top Bottom