I got one today too!

I feel so LEFT OUT! I’m still stuck with the old method, whereby the emus themselves hatch the eggs, and little strings of cute downy eemlettes just appear from the gum trees to eat your wheat. I have never seen a really young chick.

Supreme Emu

Quote:
No, I didn't. We had such a heck of a time with eggs being laid at night in freezing weather, "stealing" eggs from my female (she's very protective of her nest) that once I got a few eggs in the bator, I left them alone. I hope you keep us updated if you give it a shot.

It finally got to the point where I could no longer take eggs from the pen, so Enoch started sitting on his nest. Those eggs are due to hatch next weekend +/- a day or two.
fl.gif

I hope you're able to keep your babies! They can be quite tame and are the easiest critters on our property to care for.

People seem to have such inventive and appropriate names for their emus! I have heard ‘Alan,’ ‘Plop Plop,’ and ‘Enoch.’ One of mine, a male, is named ‘Felicity.’

Supreme Emu

Quote:
No, I didn't. We had such a heck of a time with eggs being laid at night in freezing weather, "stealing" eggs from my female (she's very protective of her nest) that once I got a few eggs in the bator, I left them alone. I hope you keep us updated if you give it a shot.

It finally got to the point where I could no longer take eggs from the pen, so Enoch started sitting on his nest. Those eggs are due to hatch next weekend +/- a day or two.
fl.gif

I hope you're able to keep your babies! They can be quite tame and are the easiest critters on our property to care for.

Hmm, well I want to try the float test, but I probably need to wait until next weekend, next sunday is day 49. But I need to figure out what I need to do, I'm guessing since with chicken eggs the water need to me 100 degree, that with emu it would need to be 97 degrees? So I guess I need to get a liquid thermometer.

Quote:
Ditto that statement... more pics, please? Seriously, do I have to beg? Because you know I will.
fl.gif
Ha! Or hold I'll hold on to the next two until they're just as spoiled rotten as the first one is! Heading down to the emu pen now to pet and encourage Enoch. C'mon babies...

Back
Top Bottom