I got one today too!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by The Sheriff, Mar 12, 2011.

1. KBChicks

KBChicks Songster

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    Oh how sweet! She's adorable!!

2. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chirping

Jun 8, 2010
    I feel so LEFT OUT! I’m still stuck with the old method, whereby the emus themselves hatch the eggs, and little strings of cute downy eemlettes just appear from the gum trees to eat your wheat. I have never seen a really young chick.

Supreme Emu

3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Songster

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Quote:No, I didn't. We had such a heck of a time with eggs being laid at night in freezing weather, "stealing" eggs from my female (she's very protective of her nest) that once I got a few eggs in the bator, I left them alone. I hope you keep us updated if you give it a shot.

It finally got to the point where I could no longer take eggs from the pen, so Enoch started sitting on his nest. Those eggs are due to hatch next weekend +/- a day or two. [​IMG]

I hope you're able to keep your babies! They can be quite tame and are the easiest critters on our property to care for.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:aww daddy baby bonding time [​IMG]

5. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chirping

Jun 8, 2010
    People seem to have such inventive and appropriate names for their emus! I have heard ‘Alan,’ ‘Plop Plop,’ and ‘Enoch.’ One of mine, a male, is named ‘Felicity.’

Supreme Emu

6. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:If we get a boy, I wanna name it Jeffery... Don't know why, just think it fits, LOL.

7. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:No, I didn't. We had such a heck of a time with eggs being laid at night in freezing weather, "stealing" eggs from my female (she's very protective of her nest) that once I got a few eggs in the bator, I left them alone. I hope you keep us updated if you give it a shot.

It finally got to the point where I could no longer take eggs from the pen, so Enoch started sitting on his nest. Those eggs are due to hatch next weekend +/- a day or two. [​IMG]

I hope you're able to keep your babies! They can be quite tame and are the easiest critters on our property to care for.

Hmm, well I want to try the float test, but I probably need to wait until next weekend, next sunday is day 49. But I need to figure out what I need to do, I'm guessing since with chicken eggs the water need to me 100 degree, that with emu it would need to be 97 degrees? So I guess I need to get a liquid thermometer.

8. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    Mary, we need more pics
    how's the baby doing?

9. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Songster

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Quote:Ditto that statement... more pics, please? Seriously, do I have to beg? Because you know I will. [​IMG] Ha! Or hold I'll hold on to the next two until they're just as spoiled rotten as the first one is! Heading down to the emu pen now to pet and encourage Enoch. C'mon babies...

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Alright, but I am posting this against my better judgement!

[​IMG]

Pampers preemie size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: