I got rescue hens today

awwww, how sweet !! They sound so happy !!!!

Not sure about the comb thing, im guessing its droppy b/c the way they were kept !! As they eat better it might stand up, but not 100% sure. Ive always noticed that when one of my hens is sick her comb will fall but when they get better it seems to go back up (I know your arent sick)

Oh how wonderful you at least were able to give 2
a better life just being chickens,
its nice to hear of a good deed in this sometime crazy world. many thanks to you.
FRom Orange Ca. now in the great smoky mountains..

Quote:
Aww...When they chop their beaks off, it makes it impossible to eat stuff like that off the ground
somad.gif
Poor things! We have a chick with a sizzor beak that cannot pick stuff up off of the ground. So we make her extra creamy oatmeal and I watch her everytime we feed all the birds to make sure she is doing ok. She does very well. She doesn't give up
smile.png
Try putting a whole container of (small) meal worms on the floor so that they can scoop them up in their beaks. Or, once they get used to your hands, you could hand feed them worms
sickbyc.gif

I love it when they cooo. They sound so happy now! I'm sure it will take them a while to figure out what is going on, I can't even imagine what they went though. I don't know if their combs ever stand up again, that is a good question.

I have what we call x battery farm hens here. We actually go to the farm and buy them from the farmer. They are about 6 months old. They look a site when you first get them. Heavy molt, beaks cut etc but they eventually end up looking just great and are great layers. You do have to teach them to roost and where lay their eggs. I have never found anything my girls can't eat even with chopped beaks.
As much as i don't like battery hen farms. You can see why the farmer does it. It is partly the consumers fault to for wanting such a high production of eggs all the time. Should their be other ways for these chickens to live ? Of course their should be but at least I am giving the girls a better future.

www.petfinder.com has a section for chickens, under the bird section. There's also a section for other barnyard animals.

My only problem is that the one by us has stipulations like what you can and can't do with the animals and that they reserve the right to stop by your house and if they don't like the "conditions" your animals are in, they can take them back. I understand why, but privacy's not a right I'm willing to give up and the clause is way to vague. It doesn't say what is or isn't acceptable. It's so vague, they could decide that I don't have a red lamp on when they think I should or that the coops dirty (we're trying the deep litter method) and take the chickens back.

Just be aware of all that before you sign up, and check to make sure before you adopt.

Good for you! Try to focus on the ones you saved and don't dwell on the ones you couldn't. You did the most you were able to do, and that's more than the average person does!

As an aside, I rescued three in October, also 18 months old, and they lay very well for me.

They have tons of chickens at shelters. Shelters are not that picky, at least don't do home visits. They have a lot of roosters for obvious reasons
sad.png
I wish I could adopt them all, because I am sure they all get put to sleep.

Quote:
Try FarmSanctuary.org. they are in Watkins Glen, NY. I don't know if they adopt out but I think they do.
D.gif

Farm Sanctuary is a great place and you can adopt, but they will only let you have an animal if you live a vegetarian lifestyle. I was under the impression I couldn't even take in a chicken if I wanted the eggs...

I recently read the book, "Farm Sanctuary." It is a very straightforward account of the work that they do, both in CA and in New York.
Even if you are not a vegan (I'm not), you will be moved to consider the ethics of meat and the factory farm system.

Back
Top Bottom