I got rid of 3 geese and 7 roosters....

user69820

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 14, 2010
Well, I got the courage to let them go! The decision did not become finalized until yesterday and I went to bed early because I knew I would have to say bye-bye!! I was so sad and feeling so terrible for doing this? I just kept myself busy and did what I had to keep myself from thinking about how cruel I am being to my animals. I had to come face to face with how God made them so, like the same thing over and over again? The aggressiveness and the honking and the pooping? I am sad about this and I am so relieved that now I only have a female goose...(maybe) and one for sure gander. So we will see next spring if any eggs get laid? I must say it was fun having all these new things to play with this past summer and I am overjoyed that they are gone! It really still is hard and I know I did what I had to do....I feel like I grew up with the responsibility of feeding and taking care of each bird and setting it free!! summerproject;) I will definetly think twice before I bring any animals home................smiles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, It was word of mouth and before I new it the date was set and the person came by and we loaded them up and there they went. It was a family man with his daughter and hopefully they will enjoy them? I cannot stress in this message that I truley do feel sad about them not being here....and I have to make the best of my decision to let them go. I am sure with whatever they decide to do with them, is their business? So, I am left with the question of did I make the right decision or not? Yes I think so. I am blocking out the thought of what I actually did and yes....it still is hard thinking about the day and how it all led up to the letting go of each bird. It sounds like you are a big animal lover? chris

I think I know what you're going through. I hatched out some ducks and geese this year with the intent of selling off the ones I did not want, but when it came down to it, I had a very hard time with the decision of letting some go. In the end I sold them and was happy to have space back for other things, but I could not stop thinking about what their little lives were going to be like... ie. would they be safe from predators, would they have grass, would they be loved... I also had to just let it go.

Thank you for your encouraging words. I loved having them all and "WOW" your emotions are all raw and it is a learning process. I wanted to sell them all, like you mentioned but time got away from me. I am always concerned about prediators and being in charge. One thing too is that I kept the smallest of them. When I was catching each one, one by one and taking them to the cage to get them transported in, I could feel the strength of their wings against me and I have heard horror stories. I caught each one and I prayed as I took them away from the last two. When I was done, not one of the geese was traumatized. Well, yes they were because I cornered them but in a very careful way as not to get them upset. But they did not leave making loud honking noises of confusion, and setting off the last two. So maybe that is how I kept my sanity and tears back. Thank you so much......and yes I still feel sad today and I will get feeling better as time goes on. Maybe in the future if I have baby geese the thing is to sell them off fast? I don't know....but decisions are not easy to make, that is for sure? Thank you for listening and I have had a humbling experience and it is true animals do change us ....no smiles this day. Chris

Back
Top Bottom