I got some eggs.. not sure who from!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kerriliane, Dec 4, 2010.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    So, I have 4 muscovy hens that are 4-5 months old.....
    they sleep in the coop with the chickens because it's warm.
    I found a hidden nest in there today, that everyone seems to use...
    I've now found about 5 or 6 of these slightly greenish eggs, a bit larger than a chicken egg.. and the shell doesnt look solid.. it looks like an egg shell thats been soaked in water for a while almost slightly translucent in spots..
    Could these be from a duck?
    they're VERY dirty eggs, and i've found two outside - one by the pond, and another by some food.

I have a white leghorn egg with two of the unknown eggs.
    One I've washed a bit to show the colouring, the other I left as is. I rarely wash my eggs, as they are usually clean, but these mystery ones are gross!

[​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The top two look like duck eggs, the bottom looks like a chicken egg. Duck eggs have a waxy appearance.

3. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Ooh!
    okay. Do duck eggs have the same sign of fertility as chicken eggs?
    I cracked one today, to see if it had a spot on the yolk, and it had a decent sized spot.. larger than a non fertile chicken egg spot.. But I'm pretty sure all 4 muscovies are hens!

Are duck eggs always dirty like this?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:YES!

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    m r ducks [​IMG] yes duck eggs tend to be dirty they clean up well. they are fabulous for baking. my ducks outlay my chickens in the winter

6. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    the big one is a double yolker..
    Should i save them and sell them?
    I'm not sure I'd much like a duck egg.. Chicken eggs are quite tasty but I dunno about ducks...

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love to eat duck eggs! I save my chicken eggs for my customers, plus keep my landlady in eggs (of both types) and give some away now and then. I do eat the chicken eggs which have gotten muddy or look odd, and the bantam eggs.

I was a little bit hesitant, at first, but they are SO good! Plus they make fluffier baked goods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by