I got some meat rabbits!

Congrats on the rabbits. I started raising NZW 6 months ago. They are very easy. I have the cages hung from small chains from my barns ceiling. Cages stay very clean. Going to breed my 3 does in 2 weeks. Wish me luck.
smile.png
And good luck to you!

hi everyone,
i'm going to begin raising rabbits soon. i'm thinking new zealand. do you have a book you recommend? i'm stll trying to figure out cages, space, managing poop, breeding, etc.
i liked the post about hanging the cage from the barn ceiling. i think i could do that.
it is just two of us. i wonder how many do i need to keep things going. do you think 2 buck/2 does is right? or is that too much.

Interesting, I am glad there is some rabbit discussion here too. After I get my new chicks grown out a bit, I plan to add a few rabbits. Have to be careful here since I live in the city. I think I have a plan to bypass the hoity-toity ordinance police!

Ye Haww!

I highly recommended Flemish Giants. They are peaceful, aren't tending towards aggression or biting. I have two Flemish does, and one Flemish Buck. I haven't had any litters yet, but they're still very young.

hi everyone,
i'm going to begin raising rabbits soon. i'm thinking new zealand. do you have a book you recommend? i'm stll trying to figure out cages, space, managing poop, breeding, etc.
i liked the post about hanging the cage from the barn ceiling. i think i could do that.
it is just two of us. i wonder how many do i need to keep things going. do you think 2 buck/2 does is right? or is that too much.

As said before, Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits. It's like a rabbit keeper's bible. The only thing that I feel that book is lacking is a discussion on pasture raising or natural foods/forage. He (the author) recommends pellets and hay only. I prefer to give my rabbits as much fresh food as possible, grass, leaves, flowers, veggie scraps, fruit, etc.

I recommend starting with a trio (2 does, 1 buck). If you're raising for meat the New zealands and californians are your best bet as far as quick grow out and larger litters. Those two breeds are the standard. Of course, you really can't go wrong with any decently sized rabbit breed or mutt if you're only raising for yourself. We have Rex right now and used to have Creme d'Argents but I sold them to make room for more Rexes because I like them better. Not that the Cremes weren't any good, they actually dressed out really well, I just prefer the Rex pelts.

Flemish Giants are nice for pets or show, but if you're mainly concerned with meat I'd stay away from them. They just put too much energy (read: food) into building bone and mass as opposed to meat. I'd say NZs, Calis, Rex, Creme or Champaign d'Argent, Cinnamons, Florida Whites, Palomino, Satins, and Silver Fox would all be breeds to consider.

Back
Top Bottom