I got the bugger!!!!WARNING-GRAPHIC PIC

Quote:
Oh wow, that's a mess. We have issues like that with rabbits. They are eating our feed and so overpopulated you can't walk 20 feet on our property without tripping over a rabbit. They're not even scared of us anymore. Our landlords won't let us put out poison for them, or shoot them unless we do it "legally"...we called Fish and Game, and legal means a $30 hunting license, but...we can't shoot within a quarter mile of a building, even our own. They just said to live trap and release the rabbits elsewhere. So, we would be left to spend $5 in gas money for each rabbit and over an hour every day to trap and release a couple of rabbits, when they are reproducing at a faster rate than we can relocate? Argh. I want to trap a hundred of them and "relocate" them to the parking lot of Fish and Game! lol This in the state where it is legal to carry a concealed weapon with no permit...you can take your gun to the grocery store, but you can't shoot a bunny in the backyard. And since the landlords are my husband's parents, and live on the property as well, we can't just shoot and shut up.

Relocating is illegal in most states. Check the laws before you relocate. In this state it is legal to trap or kill any nuisance animal if on your own property if it is used for agricultural purposes. I have 4 gardens, chicken and turkeys, sounds agricultural to me.
big_smile.png
Does the landlord live on the property? If not I would relocate them to their house.
lol.png
And there is always more than one way to skin a cat if you know what I mean.
wink.png

Quote:
I knew I would get flack from someone.

My coop is VERY predator proof. And as far as coons go........ I will aim for them, trap them, take them out any way possible. Rabies are a big problem here with them. Not to mention the damage they cause if they get in my garden. Hey, the way I see it is when you mess with MY food you are going down by any means necessary. And if a neighbor's animal gets caught then the neighbors are at fault for not keeping their animals in their yard, not mine.

The poop on the deck did wash off with a hose but the big purple stain from the berries the coon ate did not. My brand new ceder deck with a big purple/ black stain is going to take a sander. Care to come do that for me?

I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion and as my daddy always said "Opinions are like poop shutes, everyone has one and they mostly all stink". So thank you for the warning but what I do on my property is my business. I don't live in a cul-de-sac. I live on an island where coons, coyotes and fishers have no problem eating every pet they can get their hands on.

Quote:

My coop is VERY predator proof. And as far as coons go........ I will aim for them, trap them, take them out any way possible. Rabies are a big problem here with them. Not to mention the damage they cause if they get in my garden. Hey, the way I see it is when you mess with MY food you are going down by any means necessary. And if a neighbor's animal gets caught then the neighbors are at fault for not keeping their animals in their yard, not mine.

The poop on the deck did wash off with a hose but the big purple stain from the berries the coon ate did not. My brand new ceder deck with a big purple/ black stain is going to take a sander. Care to come do that for me?

I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion and as my daddy always said "Opinions are like poop shutes, everyone has one and they mostly all stink". So thank you for the warning but what I do on my property is my business. I don't live in a cul-de-sac. I live on an island where coons, coyotes and fishers have no problem eating every pet they can get their hands on.

thumbsup.gif

My elderly neighbor told me he uses a pellet gun on rabbits. I was suprised since I once called the local police station to ask about taking care of pest problems,and was told no guns of any kind are permitted even plinkers. I think I will get a pellet gun anyway. I read about those conibear traps.See them at the store for cheap,but afriad to set them. Lol,the old fashion mouse traps make me jump when they go off on me!

I put my traps out once all cats,dogs,and chickens are locked up for the nice.Then I check and put away everything in the am before I let everyone loose. I would feel bad about a neighbor pet getting into a trap or poison in my fenced yard,but I would probably SSS in those cases.

Yes coniber traps work great for that kinda thing. If you are trying for coons of possums the best thing if you make a cubby up out of a 5 gallon buck or box, or whatever, with the trap set over the opening. 220's do work the best but some states don't allow traps with that large of opening unless the are submerged in water, so a 160 would be the second choice. If you bait the cubby with marshmallows you are very unlikely to catch a cat of dog, but coons and possums love them.

Quote:

thumbsup.gif

X2

Awesome! I'm all for taking any animal out if they mess with me, my chickens, or the feed. (Not to mention purple poop stains!) Hoo-rah!

So glad you got the Bugger!!! I lost 3 hens and 3 roosters yesterday due to a pack of dogs, one dog was trapped in the coop. They didn't eat the them, just wanted to kill them. I am a dog lover but we had to shoot this one. It was not something I enjoyed doing, but when it comes to dogs killing my livestock I take action.

Glad you got it!!!! I went out to the "Silkie Shack" one morning and something had reached in and halfway tore the head off of one of my silkies..and I have a high powered electric fence on the top outside of the coop. We don't put the wire on the bottom because of the grandchildren. That night, I trapped a mangy looking fox. It looked diseased, so I was glad that I caught it. It was "disposed" of immediately!!! If something is in my yard that doesn't belong, I have learned to be a pretty good shot. I have too much time and $$ tied up into my show stock of Silkies(which are my pets also) and the peafowl that free range on my land to lose them to a mangy looking predator!!
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom