I got the raccoon - Then he got ME!

Not to belabor any points made already, but if you have a coon in a box trap, fill a garbage can just deep enough with water to submerge the trap and drop it in. its very effective and quick.

i used to run a trap line as kids, some coons are very docile, some are very aggressive, my buddy had a brand new pair of chest waders ruined by an extremely angry coon that had already taken a .2 short to the brain.

Tough animals, and not o be triffled with :D

I haven't been trapping long, but in picking my site for the trap, I make sure I can shoot into whatever surface it's placed on (usually dirt)- I tie the trap in place so it can't get flipped and when I've got a critter in it, I just step up on it and take my kill shot through the trap... haven't hit the plate yet, thank goodness. The other morning I checked my trap at 5:30, empty, so I didn't bother checking it again before I let the chickens out at seven. One little banty rooster came up the path with me to spring the trap for the day and there was a opossum in the trap. Diego, the rooster, walked up to look at it and that nasty bugger made a grab for him! I would've been so mad at myself if the opossum would have gotten him after all. ugh!

Roundworm is my concern with coons, Glad you got it. I tell my kids there is no way I am messing with a coon in a trap to transport it somewhere other than a garbage bag.

Glad to hear you are alright! Glad you caught the bandit! I've had to resort to live trapsb/c they are too sneaky for my old eyes, especially in the dark. MiF

Back
Top Bottom