I guess I don't understand rooster behaviors...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Aug 28, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    This is my first 5 months or so of doing chickens. Just got a rooster about a month and a half ago that I am assuming now is around 12 to 15 weeks old. I have not heard any crowing yet but this is what we are seeing. Today when we let them out of the coop after work, he ran across the yard and just pecked one of me pullets that is around 15 weeks or so in the back. Then he ran to another one of the pullets and mounted her. He was on her for about 5 seconds and then she shook him off and her hair bristled on the back of her head and she chased him a short ways.

Then I saw him a little later run and peck another pullet about 15 weeks old in the back too.

Is this normal rooster behavior or is this something I need to try to stop? Do all rooster behave this way? I don't want a mean rooster. I need some rooster education here.

2. It is fine I think.

What breed?

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    He is in full blown raging hormone mode. Yes it is normal at this stage of his life. He will start crowing soon (if he isn't already and you just haven't been up yet to hear him). Some roosters crow all day, some just in the morning. Mine mostly just crows in the morning. I think he crows more when I am out early, maybe not. Anyway he is 17 weeks old and he chases the hens around a lot. I just saw him mount a hen earlier this week for the first time (that I saw). Usually as they mature they will settle down some and not be such bullies. At least that is what I have read!

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It sounds like he's just starting to establish dominance.

Every morning, when i let my chickens out of the coop, the rooster can't think about anything but what i call "the prime directive." He mounts everything that will hold still for him. But he doesn't hurt the girls.

If yours were actually attacking them or being very rough when he mounts them, then i might be concerned, but i think you just have a normal fella there.

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    It sounds like normal rooster behavior. I am new to chickens too, and was concerned when our rooster started grabbing chickens by the neck and dragging them around.
    The explanation I liked best: think of the rooster's age in weeks as comparable to a boy's age in years. The 12 year old boy is pulling the girl's hair, just to get a little attention.
    Things will improve.
    Good luck.
    Robin

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The oldchickenlady is exactly right: full-blown hormonal boyness right now. Your rooster cannot think straight. He also hasn't learned or developed any finesse yet - it's like boys grabbing girls' boobs and the like. For young chickens, each week is similar to a year, so a 14 week old rooster is like a 14 year old boy. He's got a woody and doesn't know what to do with it, so to speak. (Pardon the crass description.)

They DO settle down after several more weeks. One day you will suddenly realize that odd "wing drop, circling move" he puts on around a pullet or hen is his Romance Dance for her.

My main rooster courts his favorite, and if she submits in a squat, he will mount her. If she doesn't submit, he won't bother her. He'll go look for another lady of the moment. My little banty roosters do not yet know how to be nice about it and they don't CARE if a hen squats or not - they'll try to run 'em down into corners and tag team her. SO disquieting but it's nature. (I still yank 'em off the hens - nobody but Carl mounts hens in my presence. And he even does it off aways, because I will pull him off hens, too, if I'm close. Just reinforcing that those hens are MINE, and I'm the boss, not him.)

Anyway, it's normal rooster behavior. The other thing that's surprising (it was to me!) is that the actual sex act takes mere seconds. There are no rooster parts to penetrate hen parts.... they just press their cloacas (vents) together for the exchange of body fluids. The rooster will mount, the hen will squat and fold her tailfeathers over, he will fold HIS tailfeathers over to one side, touch, and then they're done.

All that silly dance for just that little bit.

7. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I think this rooster is a mix. I think next spring I will get another one and maybe get a orpington rooster. Good to know that this is normal. Here is a pic of the fellow. It was taken about 2 weeks ago.

[​IMG][/img]

8. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Sorry I'm being immature.)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  9. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Well the little guy strikes again tonight. He was chasing one of the buff orpingtons pullets that is around 14 or 15 weeks. He pecked her or something and all I saw was feathers flying everywhere. Poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by