I guess my first post should be an intro.

bantamrooster

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
I come from a long line of poultry owners. As a child I dont remember any relatives that didnt own at least a few chickens. My grandmother was my biggest influence when it came to owning chickens. I have a lot of great memories spending time helping her with her chickens. And when I was young I raised and sold a lot of different bantams for myself as well as a lot of kids for 4H and county fair shows. Back then it wasnt so easy to get some of the different breeds and colors as it is now (pre internet, pre egg shipping, etc.) My grandmother was always there to help.
I also fought urban chicken keeping. I was a teen and that was late 70s early 80s. I fought and was "grandfathered" in but the city continued and I finally gave up after about five years of constant harassment.
Years and life went by and at times I had chickens and/or other poultry and there was times I went years without any. Years ago when the economy was starting to crash and work as a carpenter was getting harder to come by we sold our suburban home and moved into a smaller home with some land out in the country. Giving up the suburban "keeping up with the Jones" the continous "rat race" and the crazy politics and restrictions involved in the small town we were living was the smartest thing I had done in a long time.
My wife and step daughter were not raised in the country and are really enjoying the small farm life. My daughter really reminds me of myself when I was her age. Fascinated with all types and breeds of poultry (and rabbits).
We have chickens, ducks, geese, guineas and turkeys. We have common laying breeds for eggs. Some fancier breeds and bantams just cause theyre cool. And a couple rare or projects im working on.
And if that isnt involved enough and since ive been a carpenter my whole adult life and probably about 30 or more total years owning chickens ive been trying to break into custom coop building. The first couple years of just building them here and there for friends or people asking was great but the more successful it has gotten the more brutal its gotten. A lot of competion for a small market and if youre cutting into someone elses profits seems they can get pretty nasty.
Thats enough about that and enough about me.
In a half a lifetime of learning about chickens I realize theres still more then a lifetime of learning I need to do and I think this forum will be a great help.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
images

Welcome to BYC!

Well, since you are a carpenter, you were made to be in the chicken owning business!! Master coop builder!!

So glad you could join our community. Pull up a roost bar and make yourself at home. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice flock! Be sure to put up some of your coop projects in the BYC Coops section!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Thank you everyone.
Theres a lot going on here probably gonna take a while to get it all figured out.

Back
Top Bottom